Mmf Accents And Wire Questions

Decorating By yummy Updated 2 Jan 2007 , 6:57pm by melysa

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 5:04am
post #1 of 11

My first time trying this, will be icing cake with bc. How far in advance should I make the mmf accents? From tips I picked up on cc I know that the bc should crust first, use 30 gauge florist wire, floral tape anything else I should know? TIA

10 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 5:51am
post #2 of 11

Hi Yummy! I am working with MMF for the first time as we speak=) I made my swan a week ago, and it is solid. I am making the windows and doors right now for the cake I am doing for friday. If you want them solid, you can make em way in advance=) As far as the wires...I just read from someone else's post that for small decorations to use a 26 gauge wire, and for large decorations to use a 20 gauge wire. Hope that helps some. If not, my post will pop this back at the top and someone else can help further, Jen

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:11am
post #3 of 11

It does take quite a while for MMF to dry solid - I would give it at least a week. I like to do a gumpaste/MMF 50/50 mix for decorations or just gumpaste which dries much much quicker a day or two. One thing I have had problems with in the past if you have heavy decorations on wire is the weight of the decorations sagging and then the wire will cut thru the cake ( i hope that makes sense icon_smile.gif) MMF can get heavy if your decorations are big. Good luck!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:16am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbeeBaker

...I just read from someone else's post that for small decorations to use a 26 gauge wire, and for large decorations to use a 20 gauge wire. Hope that helps some. If not, my post will pop this back at the top and someone else can help further, Jen

think it may have been my post? i did those stars with gumpaste the night before, first i took the wire, bent a small hook at one end, dipped it in a mixture of water and meringue powder (edible glue) then while the gumpaste was still pliable, (cut out and rested for a minute or so to slightly hold its shape) i kept the shape on the flat surface and gently pushed the wire into the gumpaste. then i gently lifted them and poked the bottom of the wire into an upside down egg carton to dry upright.(the foam kind) or if you happen to have a foam block, great....they were very thin so they dried by the next day easily.

for fondant, give yourself at least a week depending on the thickness of your decorations, but it does take much longer for them to harden. but i believe you will need to insert your wires while it is still pliable, not wait till they dry.

to avoid the heavier decorations sagging, try putting your wires into a piece of straw or flower spike filled with royal icing or fondant so they dont pull down on the cake.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:29am
post #5 of 11

Hi yummy

i use wire's alot on my cake's, all i use is mmf (the small batch recipe). some times i will add some tylose or gum trag powder to aid in the drying time. mostly though the mmf will be dry enough to hold its shape within a day or two. once you have cut out your shapes insert your wires about 3/4 of the way up then allow to dry on a flat surface ( i mostly use 18 to 20 gauge pre-cut craft or florist wire)..

when applying mmf accents to BC you can do that as soon as you have iced your cake. i would cut them out at the time not before hand as they will harden and may not attach flat to the side of your cake. if you attach them when the mmf is still soft they will mold to the side of the cake better.

kylie

melysa Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:36am
post #6 of 11

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=melysa&cat=0&pos=0

26 gage wire with 3/4" stars, 1/8" thick. bend the wire BEFORE you put it in the decorations. i cut a piece of straw, put it in the cake, filled it with royal icing, then placed the wires in that. i drove with this assembled in my car and not a thing moved or fell off, only one day after making the decorations.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 7:51am
post #7 of 11

Wow! Thank you all so much I have received a wealth of info.

Is gumpaste edible? Why 50/50 gumpaste/mmf? So, 1/8 thick is not too thick to weigh it down, is that the same thickness to apply to sides and tops of cakes? If I lay mmf flat to dry what to cover them with and where/how to store; do I let them dry on parchment, wax paper? If the cake is just iced, I don't need any kind of adhesive to help stick to the cakes? So my bc does not have to be a crusting one or it should be? If I don't add the accents while cake is freshly iced, what's the best thing to use to adhere to cake?

Melysa

Nice cake! For example, if I am using the nesting fondant cutter set (Wilton) the smallest shape I should use 26 gauge the medium ? large? Doesn't the straw fill up with cake (I am confused) or do I fill and the royal icing seeps into the cake or no cake in the straw(confused)

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 11

I have a question about 50/50 gumpaste/mmf also, I used the Wilton gumpaste and it is almost an off white color, when mixing with fondant does that work out? MMF is usually alot whiter.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 11

I used the Ck gumpaste mix and mixed it with MMF and it was not pure white but was white enough - usually I paint my accents anyway so it white"ness" is not an issue - I use a 50/50 mix cause it dries faster and harder I think. Thanks for the straw/royal icing tip - I am going to try that for sure! Yes gumpaste is edible - but I dont think many eat it! icon_smile.gif

melysa Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Wow! Thank you all so much I have received a wealth of info.

Is gumpaste edible? Why 50/50 gumpaste/mmf? So, 1/8 thick is not too thick to weigh it down, is that the same thickness to apply to sides and tops of cakes? If I lay mmf flat to dry what to cover them with and where/how to store; do I let them dry on parchment, wax paper? If the cake is just iced, I don't need any kind of adhesive to help stick to the cakes? So my bc does not have to be a crusting one or it should be? If I don't add the accents while cake is freshly iced, what's the best thing to use to adhere to cake?

Melysa

Nice cake! For example, if I am using the nesting fondant cutter set (Wilton) the smallest shape I should use 26 gauge the medium ? large? Doesn't the straw fill up with cake (I am confused) or do I fill and the royal icing seeps into the cake or no cake in the straw(confused)

yes, gumpaste is edible, but i'd have no desire to eat it simply because i think its hard and smells like vinegar (although it tastes sweet) . i think its more decorative, but SAFE to eat it someone feels bizarre enough to do so.

never done a mix of 50/50, but from what i gather here, it is if you want to use fondant for better flavor, the half gumpaste simply helps speed the drying time as well as making it more stable. i think this is more along the lines of modeling not really simple cut outs. but then again, i wouldnt know because i've not tried it, only read about it on here.

if you are adding accents to the sides of a cake (like circles for example)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=melysa&cat=0&pos=19

i would say just use straight fondant that has not dried. if your buttercream has dried or if you are attaching flat fondant to fondant, just brush the underside with a LITTLE water and it will stick. to cover a cake, i try to roll it 1/4" thick and for decorations, about 1/8 thick. for the shaped decorations like the white daisies that i put on the above cake, i dried them for a week, they were fondant, hardened and i attached them with royal icing.

to dry the fondant...you could lay them on parchment or wax paper, i've even used plastic wrap. you could lay them on a layer of cornstarch (but then you may have a little white dust on them). just flip them over halfway through drying time to so the underside gets air. never put mmf in the oven to speed up drying time, it will melt- as they are marshmallows.

i think that if colored gumpaste is exposed to a lot of light over time it may start to lose its color. i have heard that here but dont know from my own experience because i tend to use them not too long after they are made. for drying my stars on the new years cake, after attaching to the wires, i poked the wires into an upside down clean egg carton and they dried upright.

the only experience i've had with wires is the new years cake so i dont know about using different sizes (from experience). but i would think that it would look best to have a uniform look by using the same size in each cake. i guess it all depends on the look you are going for.

i hope that this helps you out. i am still learning myself!

melysa Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

For example, if I am using the nesting fondant cutter set (Wilton) the smallest shape I should use 26 gauge the medium ? large? Doesn't the straw fill up with cake (I am confused) or do I fill and the royal icing seeps into the cake or no cake in the straw(confused)

now i get what you mean about the nesting cutters (one small heart, medium heart, large heart , etc.) my stars were the smallest of the cutters, i tried a medium heart on the 26 gage wire and it seemed too heavy so i didnt use it.

where i put my straw, i already had a hole from pushing a dowel through my entire cake to make it stable. if you didnt have this situation, yes your straw may have cake in it and i imagine it should hold the wires in. in that case, you may not need the royal icing. no the icing does not seep into the cake, it is like pouring cement into a mold. sorry to confuse you- this was my first experience too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%