The Perfect Cakes For Cheap Brides

Decorating By JanH Updated 1 Jan 2007 , 5:26pm by JanH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:13am
post #1 of 16

For those brides wanting the least expensive way to have a memorable wedding cake, groom's cake, wedding favors and cake topper - all in a coordinated theme:

The Twinkie Wedding Collection:

http://www.twinkies.com/twinkiewedding.asp#groom

For the truly frugal bride, a trip to the Hostess outlet store is a must icon_smile.gif

15 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:21am
post #2 of 16

That is just too cute, I love it! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:58am
post #3 of 16

Hey, that is cute!!
How much do twinkies cost each??
as far as i know we dont have them here in Australia.

Nati

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 16

I can't believe the imagination of people. Twinkies for cakes, why not, really. Twinkies are cheap, I believe. We don't have them here in Mexico, either. But, I remember my son liking them, and being able to buy a 2-pack for 50 cents (I have to admit that was some time ago, so the price has probably gone up).

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 16

LaPazLady isn't a Twinkie the same as a Submarino hey they are not the same but they have the same shape except Submarinos are better than Twinkies that's probably because I grew up eating them I still eat them!! They sell them here in US too, it's so funny I just remembered my DD she loves Submarinos but she is American and she loves the strawberry ones, and she calls them Pinkie Winkies

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 16

Cakedecor, I'm not familiar with Submarino. But, I'm sure there are lots of snack cakes that are similar to the twinkie. Twinkies have a cream in them that some people really like, so if a Submarino has a cream filling, it probably is pretty much the same. I thought while I was at the store today I'd take a look at the snack cakes available here. They're not something I'd usually buy, but it certainly is worth a look-see...

calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 16

The Little Debbie snack cakes are pretty cheap. I believe that they make some similar to Twinkie. Very cute idea!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 16

yes they have the little holes in the back and they have vanilla and strawberry, what a god idea to make cakes with Twinkies

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 16

i have seen those and think they are soooo cute & funny!

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 16

I've actually been to a wedding with a twinkie wedding cake. it was back in college. they got married on the beach during our annual beach retreat! the cake was all different kinds of snack cakes, one kind per layer. As I remember, they were kinda stale though, so maybe they'd been purchased at the outlet! icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 16

I think those are some very cute ideas, but after the extensive decorating some of them have, and buying the dummies to use in the center, i don't think they would make a wedding cake that would be all that cheap.

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:02pm
post #12 of 16

They are so cute! Great marketing tool for hostess.

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:22pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I think those are some very cute ideas, but after the extensive decorating some of them have, and buying the dummies to use in the center, i don't think they would make a wedding cake that would be all that cheap.

I believe you are right...I live in NC and my husband like Twinkies they are a little over $4 a box and there are 10 in a box. And don't forget time and labor...instead of decorating larger cakes with fondant you are doing individual Twinkies and decorations. I'm new and haven't worked with fondant yet, but it seems like it would be just as time consuming really.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 16

Oh that's too funny! Its' like decorating very expensive (i buy generic twinkies cuz dang they're pricey lol) individual cakes. LOL but you wouldnt have to worry bout the brides cake going bad.. dont them things live f or like 100 years? LOL

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:25pm
post #15 of 16

for a wedding...nah....I think (even though it isn't all that cheap)..that it looks really cheap!

but very cute idea for a kid's birthday...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 5:26pm
post #16 of 16

For comparing different snack cakes; snack cakes by brand:

Hostess:

http://www.twinkies.com/products.asp

Drakes:

http://www.drakescake.com/

Dolly Madison:

http://www.dollymadison.com/

Little Debbie:

http://www.littledebbie.com/#