Has Any One Tried The Icing Sculptor From Wilton?

Decorating By caduchi Updated 9 Aug 2005 , 5:16pm by cakemommy

caduchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caduchi Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 14

Hi all,

I was wondering if any body has used the icing sculptor set from wilton.
I got it as a present from my sister, and i just don't know how to use it.

No matter what pattern i use all comes out the same.

Help icon_surprised.gif, can any one tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Saw in the wilton book you can do cool decorating with it.

Ana.

13 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 14

i bought it and coudnt get it to work. i think i didnt put enough icing on my cake though. hopefully someone can help more

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 14

Do you mean the thing that is like a cake comb with removable teeth? I saw that as well.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 14

It's like using a cake comb..... you frost the sides of your cake and drag the ice sculptor around the edge of your cake to give it a pattern. I have one but haven't used it yet. But I have used the cake comb.

debbi

caduchi Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 14

Yes Ivanabacowboy, it like a comb thing, but with this set you can make, all kinds of different patterns

Well mines the the teeths keeps falling out.
i also tried putting the icing thick on, but noway, it just don't want to work for me.

i gues i will have to keep practecing, i hope i speld that correctly.

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 14

Is your icing the right consistancy? It could be either too thick or too thin perhaps.

I have a cake comb and it works really easy.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 14

I have that comb and it has driven me nuts icon_cry.gif I can't get the thing to work either. I ice in thin consistency and have put a heavy coat on it and it still doesn't work. I've used the regular cake comb shaped like a triangle and that works ok with my icing. I think it's the product and not us. thumbsdown.gif Good luck and let me know if you ever figure it out. icon_smile.gif

frostedexpressions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostedexpressions Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 14

I too bought the icing sculpture and have yet to get it to work for me. I was beginning to think it was just me. Thanks for all the comments.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 14

so i guess i should take mine back, huh? my sister-in-law gave it to me for my birthday and i haven't opened it yet. i'm glad i read this.

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 14

Wow! That many people it doesnt work for. This actually was on my wish list. Glad I read here-I can now replace it on the list with something that will at least work such as more tips and bags.

It seemed like a cool idea. Ive used a cake comb before and Wiltons little triangle thingie and they all worked. So I figured that set would be neat because it could do more varied designs. Sometimes no matter how much technology you throw at something, the simpler things like plain old cake combs and little buck plastic triangles end up working even better lol!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 14

That looked like a "must have gadget" but it sounds like I will pass on that one. I use the comb that is as long as a ruler, with two different size teeth. That seems to fit my needs!

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 10:23pm
post #12 of 14

I have it too....and when I went to use it...the teeth kept falling out...
Don't know what the problem could be... My icing is the correct consistency too....
Anyone that has mastered this set up....give us some pointers...
There are some really cool edgings to be made with it....if you can get the teeth to stay put....lol..
cakegal

caduchi Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 14

I"m with you cakegal, I was not shore if i wanted to mension the piece about the teeth falling out but i have that problem too.
So i tried taping the things them together was i had the patern i wanted, and still no succes. icon_cry.gif
I wonder.......... Will this thing ever work.
Or would we just have to keep it as a souvernier, hope i spelled that right. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ana.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 14

I've had the same problem. I posted a thread about this a few months ago and this has been the general consensus. The teeth keep falling out. I paid enough for it even though I used my 40% coupon from Joanns for it.

I haven't actually used it on a cake yet but just playing with it, I got frustrated.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%