Royal Icing...

Decorating By SILVERCAT Updated 2 Jun 2015 , 11:35am by geekycakes

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:12am
post #1 of 8

What is the best one to use for cake decorations? Such as small details like flower!

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 5:29am
post #2 of 8

That depends upon your personal preference. Some folks prefer to use RI that is made with meringue powder. I prefer to use an egg-white based recipe. No special reason, I just like to work with old school techniques whenever I can, to help keep them alive.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 5:42am
post #3 of 8

me too! I prefer egg whites but meringue powder also works well... just a personal preference.

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 5:58am
post #4 of 8

i like to use meringue powder... i keep a lot of it on hand, so it's easy to use in the icing... i've also heard of people using soy protein as a stabilizer.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 6:03am
post #5 of 8

Wow, never heard of that one. Do they use it as a substitute for egg white powder? That would be interesting, do you have more info on that? I would love to figure out a way to make some vegan royal icing.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 8

Well I guess I left out some important info that I am a beginner and have never used RI before. So if you have any pointers or tips you would like to share please do. Oh if I plan on doing RI how long for it to dry and do I just let them air dry or what? Like I said I have never done this before, Thanks again!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 8

Good Morning,

RI is easy to work with and very easy to make. (The biggest thing to remember in making RI is NO GREASE can touch it. Clean everything in hot, soapy water and rinse with hot water and a bit of vinegar.) You can practice on a piece of wax paper or any other flat surface that is greaseless. The are lots of instructions on the Wilton.com website.
Have lots of fun playing.

geekycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geekycakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 11:35am
post #8 of 8

Meringue powder is dehydrated egg whites.  I have been able to make vegan royal icing, however:  http://geekycakes.com/2015/04/28/vegan-royal-icing/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%