White As Snow Buttercream

Baking By patton78 Updated 30 Jan 2007 , 6:35am by fmandds

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 24

For those of you who have tried this, what is your opinion? I am just looking to experiment on new buttercreams and this caught my eye but I would appreciate some feedback on it before I try it. It will be used for a 2 tier cake for my daughters birthday in one week. Thanks.

23 replies
patton78 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 24

Can anyone help me out here?? icon_cry.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 24

Well, what are you looking for/expecting with this buttercream? I haven't used it, but maybe someone can help you if you let them have more info on what you'd like to know about (i.e. it's taste, ease with decorations, etc.)

patton78 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 24

Well, like I stated in my post, I am looking for people's opinion about the buttercream. I am not "expecting" anything from the buttercream, just was curious as to what others think about it (ie. their opinion), thought that was pretty self explanatory. Guess not many people have tried it?

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 24

Are you asking about the Wilton recipe? If so, I've tried it and I like it. Keep in mind that I don't like frosting, so some people may REALLY like it.

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 24

HI patton78! It's one of the recipes that I posted...and it's my favorite all shortening buttercream recipe. I don't like to use Crisco in it...I find Crisco has a very greasy taste, I use the wal-mart brand and it's wonderful! The recipe has a excellent crust and pipes beautifully.

I hope that helps, if you have any questions just let me know thumbs_up.gif

~Denise

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 12:41am
post #7 of 24

I agree with Denise.....it works perfectly! I even give that recipe to my students to use also! icon_biggrin.gif

patton78 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 1:21am
post #8 of 24

Hmm, that is interesting...the WalMart brand is not soo greasy feeling?? I would like to experiment with an all Crisco recipe but I just am afraid because that just sounds soo gross and I DO NOt like the Wilton Class recipe that calls for all shortening, that really tastes like grease. I mentioned experimenting with an all shortening recipe to my husband and he got this gross look on his face and said "people have to be able to eat it." This White As Snow Buttercream sounds really interesting so I guess I will never know till I try. I live in very humid weather with hot summers so this would be perfect! Thanks for the input.

denise2434 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 24

Hi Patton!! I promise, it's much better with the wal-mart brand shortening...Crisco is just way too greasy for me!! It does hold up very well in the heat and humidity!!! thumbs_up.gif

Be sure to let me know how it turns out for you.

~Denise icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by denise2434

Hi Patton!! I promise, it's much better with the wal-mart brand shortening...Crisco is just way too greasy for me!! It does hold up very well in the heat and humidity!!! thumbs_up.gif

Be sure to let me know how it turns out for you.

~Denise icon_biggrin.gif

Denise, where can I get a copy of this recipe??? I'm intrigued!!! icon_smile.gif

patton78 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 24

bobwonderbuns, you can find this recipe under the recipe section on this site.

denise2434, thanks for all your help. I am hoping to experiment with it soon, I have yet to find the popcorn salt that is need although I have only checked one store so far.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 24

Sometimes the popcorn salt is sold where the popcorn kernals are sold (not in the spice section!) icon_confused.gif Make sure to get UNflavored popcorn salt - they do have different flavors of it.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 24

Is popcorn salt a finer grain or more coarse like Kosher salt? Can a regular salt be substituted?

patton78 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 24

Yes, I know that regular salt can be used instead but I have heard that the popcorn salt is the "secret" to making this icing taste great. I am assuming because the popcorn salt is slightly buttery. I would really like to give it a try!

denise2434 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 7:50pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by patton78

Yes, I know that regular salt can be used instead but I have heard that the popcorn salt is the "secret" to making this icing taste great. I am assuming because the popcorn salt is slightly buttery. I would really like to give it a try!

I find my butter flavored popcorn salt with the other spices at the grocery store...It's made by McCormick. They might even have it where the popcorn is located.

Here is the link for the recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2124-2-White-As-Snow-Buttercream.html

~Denise icon_biggrin.gif

patton78 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:06pm
post #16 of 24

Okay, I just went to the store and all I could find is regular popcorn salt. Does it have to be the butter flavored popcorn salt to turn out?

denise2434 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:12pm
post #17 of 24

HI! No, it doesn't...that is just the only kind that I can find around here. Regular will work great too!! thumbs_up.gif Just make sure to dissolve it in the water.

~Denise

patton78 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:17pm
post #18 of 24

Wow denise2434, thanks for all your help with this. I am just curious to know, what is the secret then to using the pocorn salt as opposed to regular salt? What is the purpose of the lemon juice? (dang, I was just about to try a batch and realized now I need lemon juice!! icon_sad.gif )

denise2434 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 12:08am
post #19 of 24

Your welcome patton78!! I'm really happy to give any help that I can. I use the lemon juice to cut a little of the sweetness of the buttercream, you can't taste it and if you don't want to use it, it's not must have thing.

Oops icon_redface.gif when I said you could use regular, I meant the regular popcorn salt...not the butter flavor. The popcorn salt is a finer grain and it makes it easier to dissolve into the bc. Sometimes the regular "table salt" doesn't dissolve completely and it will cause little white specks in your BC when you color it.

~Denise icon_biggrin.gif

patton78 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 24

Okay denise 2434,

I just wanted to let you know that I finally made this icing. While I have to say I do prefer buttercreams with butter in them, this is by far the best all shortening recipe I have ever made. I love the light and smooth texture, the ratio of ingrediants is just right! Thank you so much for all of you help, this recipe will come in very handy in the hot and humid months of summer! I will be using the batch I made for a strawberry shortcake cupcake cake for my daughter to bring to school for her birthday. I feel more confident that this recipe will hold up better for the day than my BC with butter.
THANKS!

patton78 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 8:50pm
post #21 of 24

Okay denise 2434,

I just wanted to let you know that I finally made this icing. While I have to say I do prefer buttercreams with butter in them, this is by far the best all shortening recipe I have ever made. I love the light and smooth texture, the ratio of ingrediants is just right! Thank you so much for all of you help, this recipe will come in very handy in the hot and humid months of summer! I will be using the batch I made for a strawberry shortcake cupcake cake for my daughter to bring to school for her birthday. I feel more confident that this recipe will hold up better for the day than my BC with butter.
THANKS!

patton78 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 8:56pm
post #22 of 24

Okay denise 2434,

THANKS!

denise2434 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 10:12pm
post #23 of 24

Hi patton!! Your so welcome!! I'm so glad that it worked out for ya!!! ..I do prefer BC with butter also, but for a all shortening recipe this is the best one that I have tried. thumbs_up.gif I can't wait to see your Strawberry Shortcake CCC!!!! I love the CCC, they are so much fun to do!!

~Denise

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:35am
post #24 of 24

I realize I'm late to comment on this frosting, but I use this for any flowers I need to dry/harden, like royal icing. My Wilton instructor told me about this frosting when I complained that I wanted to be able to eat my flowers. Yours flowers will dry/harden enough for you to be able to handle them with your hands, but still soft enough to cut through with a knife.

I've never added salt to mine, I love sugar and the more something tastes like sugar the better. So same goes for the lemon juice. I think this frosting has a more airy feel(whipped almost) and doesn't leave the grease feel in your mouth that Crisco is so known for.

It comes out white so it takes true colors quite well. I have also mixed with reg. butter buttercream when I needed more but was too lazy to make some.

Again, sorry I was late. But I thought I'd still let you know that more people out there like this frosting. I sub it for royal icing constantly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%