One More Time...burgundy Color, Butter Cream

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 1 Jan 2007 , 4:04am by eriksmom

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 4:18am
post #1 of 4

As you all know, Ive been bugging the heck out of you all concerning burgundy/crimson butter cream color icing. icon_eek.gif I STILL CANT GET IT!!! icon_sad.gif Ive bought wiltons burgundy, Ive added brown and it looks ugly. Ive bought chinese red, and was told to use it with burgundy...tried wiltons and americolor...NOTHING! icon_cry.gif

My wedding is jan 6th...I need this color!!! I wasnt meant to use this color, anywho...QUESTION: what if I do my cake in white icing, with white roses,...and color the tips burgundy or chinese red? Does anyone know if this will work??? HELP!!!! Am nervous as it is....I need deep deep red, burgundy as in the deep poinsetta petals...or deeper, you know crimson...not pink, dark pink, dingy pink....

LAST RESORT...ALL WHITE WEDDING CAKE icon_cry.gif

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 4:48am
post #2 of 4

if you can't get the color you want, you might have to compromise. I didn't think pointsettias were burgundy. Your version of "burgundy" will be difficult to match via written description.

You could add burgundy ribbon or even silk flowers.

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 5:02am
post #3 of 4

It sounds like you are looking for a more wine or claret color, not a traditional burgundy color (which is usually more purple/brown). I don't know all of the Wilton colors or Americolors as well, but if you are looking for something more wine or poinsettia colored, I think trying to achieve burgundy, or using the burgundy color at all is going in the wrong direction. You could try playing with combinations of Red with a hint of violet or purple, and see if that helps, or look on some color mixing wheels for painters - see what color best suits your needs, and see what colors they say to mix to get there, and then start mixing!

Good luck.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:04am
post #4 of 4

Check out my photos and look at the 50th anniversary cake I did. The roses are as close to a deep burgundy as I could get without getting frustrated. I just had to use ALOT of wilton burgundy, some no taste red, and I think I used some black to deepen the color, but not much. Make sure you have lots of toothpicks to do just a touch at a time.

If its a brighter burgundy that you're after, try just a touch of royal blue, or some violet depending on the shade you want.

I had to do a sand color today, and the light brown looked too peachy, it need to be a bit grayer, so i added some delphinium blue and that did the trick.
I took several color classes when I attended school for interior design, and learned alot about color. PM me if I can be of any more help. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%