Baby Bassinett

Decorating By cserr4 Updated 31 Dec 2006 , 12:46pm by ValH

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 13

I just love the baby bassinett cake by sarahs cakes. She has that lace all around the cake. Does anyone have any ideas on how she did the ruffles on the bottom of the cake and what she could have used to mold the top of the bassinett? I noticed that she had said that she accidentally deleted the instructions. I would love to make this cake for a friend's baby shower but am a novice and need help to figure out how to make it. Pls help!! Thanks
LL

12 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 13

I've made one similar to this. I used the oval cake pans for the base and used the Wilton large egg mold to mold the top part.

HTH!

Jen

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 13

The ruffles are fondant rolled super thin into a long strip and then "gathered" into the ruffles and pressed. It's then "glued" onto the cake with icing.

Not sure about the mold for the royal icing on the hood of the bassinette, sorry.

--Knox--

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 13

The hood of the basinette looks to me like the shape of 1/2 of the sports ball pan.....and the cake (just as stated above) is the oval ones.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 13

you can take some gumpaste and form it over a 1/2 egg or 1/2 ball depending on the look you're going for..

the bottom of the cake are eighter garret ruffles and the top ruffles look like specialiced cutters..you can adapt a pretty cutter and make panels.

I have taken a class with MERCEDES now in ORLANDO and she made the whole bassinette out of gumpaste..but on a cake board and then placed that on a cake so the mom to be could keep it.

This also makes a nice Christening keepsake.

sarge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarge1 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 13

the top of the bassinet looks very thin to me; maybe it's not cake at all, but a carved out, packed sugar shell? Good luck, this is a really pretty cake, I'm sure your friend will love it.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 13

I don't think that hood is cake either, I think it is gumpaste formed on the sports ball pan.

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 13

Does anyone know how she got the texture on the baby blanket and what she used for the layers on the sides of the cake- like the pink and white lace looking ruffles??

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 13

look like the white ruffle was done with a textured rolling pin and the pink looks like they piped it on..if you know what cc member made the cake why don't you pm them for better instructions!??

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 9:50pm
post #10 of 13

I have that in my Favs and it is done by Sarahscakes. A close up looks like all ruffles are fondant and she stated that the cake is fondant because she was worried about freezing it.

I would PM her personally.

Edited for dumb spelling eror.

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 12:04am
post #11 of 13

I did a bassinet cake - not nearly as nice as that one. I did the hood out of white chocolate and molded it in a metal bowl . . . at the time, i didn't have the 3D sports ball pan, or I might have used that. I cut it in half, and used it as the top of the bassinet, then covered it with some icing on the back. Good luck! Some people use royal icing, gum paste, or fondant - I wanted it to be edible, and I only had a few hours for it to dry, so I went with white chocolate.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 10:03pm
post #12 of 13

I love this cake too!!!!

ValH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValH Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 12:46pm
post #13 of 13

I made a bassinett out of sugarpaste for a christening cake I did. For the bottom I used a small easter egg mold and for the hood, the same small mold but with the sugarpaste over only half of it. The frills could be added later when the shell is perfectly dry.

I've just added it to my photos as I couldn't download it onto here.

Val

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%