Who Is Going On The Cake Cruise???

Decorating By JoanneK Updated 6 Jan 2007 , 4:41am by JoanneK

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 7:21am
post #1 of 28

The Cake Cruise to Alaska is going to be in Sept 2007. I've already signed up and put the deposit down.

I am going to be going solo as no one I know wanted to pay the money to go with me icon_cry.gif

But, I figured even if I am alone I will still have my CC "Cake Friends" on board with me.

So I thought it would be fun to have a table at dinner set up that we can all sit together at. Anyone up for it?

Also, if anyone is going to do land tours maybe we could do some with other CC members. I would LOVE to do the dog sled trip. It does cost a lot though. If I can save up the money I think I will do that.

Anyone else here going on the Cruise? If so, who will you be going with?

27 replies
TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 7:34am
post #2 of 28

Oh, I am so jealous of you! I wish I could go, but I am not....

Hopefully a ton of CCer's will be going! That sounds like a fun cruise!

danasflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danasflowers Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 8:26am
post #3 of 28

I thought it was just a demo to watch. Is there any hands on??

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 28

dh and i wanted to go but it is the same week as the company trip to Hawaii!!!!! Truly i'd rather go on the cruise!!

JoanneK Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by danasflowers

I thought it was just a demo to watch. Is there any hands on??

No hands on icon_sad.gif It is all demos. Both by Colette Peters and Nicholas Lodge.

But I'm sure we will have lots of Cake Talk and fun times. I hope everyone who can possible go will try so we can all meet up.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 28

I'd love to go but my husband will have just got home from a 7 month deployment and I don't think he would appreciate that very much! I've been on a cruise to Alaska before and it is so beautiful!

This is a great opportunity as I would love to meet Nicolas Lodge and Collette!!!! Plus, the cruise leaves from Seattle! Hello, that's in my neck of the woods. I left from Seattle on my first cruise and it was a nice sunny 80 degree day! AHHHHH!!!!!

Have fun. You're going to love it and make sure you take binoculars!!!

Amy

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 28

That sounds interesting! How much is the ticket? Deposit? How long is the cruise? where does it dock from? Do you have a website showing the info?

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 28

The cruise is 7 days! It's a wonderful cruise!

www.CakeCruise.com

Amy

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 28

I'm going. I was planning to take my mom to Alaska in August, so it worked out perfectly. I would have chosen a different cruise line, but Holland is terrific.

I can hardly wait. I believe there are other cooking demos provided by the cruise line, but only Cake Camp registrants get to go to the cake demos. You can really learn a LOT from Nicholas Lodge, just by listening to him talk.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 28

The cheapest fare is $720 for adults and $520 for kids.

JoanneK Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 3:02am
post #11 of 28

The cost comes out to be a bit more due to added airfare, insurance and other taxes and so on. Plus the land tours are pretty costly.

I've always wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise so this worked out great for me.

I sure hope you guys talk to me while on board because I'm sure to be lonely being all alone. icon_smile.gif

I've been on two other cruises and both times I ended up going with duds. One the girl I went with just wanted to eat and sleep. NOTHING else. So I ended up doing almost everything alone anyway. The other time the friend I went with and I were sort of in a fight. We almost cancelled the trip but since it was paid for we went anyway.

Other then eating dinner at the same table and sharing a room we didn't hang out at all. At the end of the trip she wanted me to lie for her as she bought so much stuff she would have to pay taxes. Since she was a jerk on the whole trip I wouldn't do it................We are no longer friends, which is a good thing.

So I figure I should be ok alone. I hate to eat alone and so I was hoping to get a group together to sit at the table together and talk about...........what else? CAKE!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 28

Nicholas Lodge is great. Fortunately, I live about 30 mintues from his shop!!!! I took a two day class earlier this year with him and I'm taking a class with him Next Friday and have seen the demos he does for the holidays. Great stuff!!!

maddyscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddyscreations Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 1:37pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

The cost comes out to be a bit more due to added airfare, insurance and other taxes and so on. Plus the land tours are pretty costly.

I've always wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise so this worked out great for me.

I sure hope you guys talk to me while on board because I'm sure to be lonely being all alone. icon_smile.gif

I've been on two other cruises and both times I ended up going with duds. One the girl I went with just wanted to eat and sleep. NOTHING else. So I ended up doing almost everything alone anyway. The other time the friend I went with and I were sort of in a fight. We almost cancelled the trip but since it was paid for we went anyway.

Other then eating dinner at the same table and sharing a room we didn't hang out at all. At the end of the trip she wanted me to lie for her as she bought so much stuff she would have to pay taxes. Since she was a jerk on the whole trip I wouldn't do it................We are no longer friends, which is a good thing.

So I figure I should be ok alone. I hate to eat alone and so I was hoping to get a group together to sit at the table together and talk about...........what else? CAKE!

Joanne are you looking for a roommate? I am considering going but would also be traveling alone!

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 28

wow some people are so lucky I am so jealous right now icon_mad.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 5:27pm
post #15 of 28

Nglez that fare is for the 3rd or 4th person in your room. The single fares run $1900-$6000 per person.

cakegirl0315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl0315 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 28

The cheapest prices I saw on there are $1,814.69 for single and $1,239.69 for double and then $720.00 any third or fourth adult.

I'll have to save save save!! But it sounds like a blast!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 5:49pm
post #17 of 28

DH and I are considering going. He's always wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise, so it works out great! icon_smile.gif There's also a cake buddy of mine who's parents-in-law are thinking of paying for theirs.

Is this a normal price for a cruise? I've never really looked at them before (prices for cruising) so I really have no idea. detective.gifdetective.gif

Is it just the two demonstrations only, or will there be lots of products and displays to look at/buy? Anyone know from previous cruises? detective.gifdetective.gif

Thanks for your responses in advance,
--Knox--

an_g3la Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
an_g3la Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 9:08pm
post #18 of 28

wow...i hope i get toi join this one

Puglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puglady Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 9:21pm
post #19 of 28

Knox, DH and I are thinking about going too. I've sent a note to the contact us email on the website (had the same questions you do) and will post the response I get.

JoanneK Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 6:50am
post #20 of 28

I believe this is a pretty normal cost for an Alaskan Cruise. There will be the two demos that will be two hours each for sure. I have heard that both Colette and Nicholas want to do more demos but they were working on getting more time in the kitchen to do so. For now only the four hours of demos are for sure.

As far as shopping I'm not sure about that but I would think that Nicholas Lodge would have some of his supplies and most likely both would have books to sign. Again, not sure though.

I don't think any other vendors will be there.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 8:41am
post #21 of 28

If anyone is thinking of going on this cruise, be sure to book through the cake club cruise site. If you book diectly with the cruise line, you won't be entitled to the demos.

I'm going and am thrilled. I"ve been on an Alaskan cruise before and it was great. Now I'm going to be with a bunch of cake people. Sure doesn't get any better than that.

JoanneK Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 7:01pm
post #22 of 28

Fairytale, who are you going with? Have you done any of the land tours on the other cruise you went on?

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 8:12pm
post #23 of 28

I'm going with my DH. He actually has lots of relatives in Alaska and Seattle. Might try to see some of then depending on what ports we go to. Yes, I've done some side trips, but nothing like dog sledding or a helilcopter ride landing on a glaciers. I don't think you can go wrong with anyting you decide to do though.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 9:14pm
post #24 of 28

icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif i cant afford it. Have fun though and come back and tell us what you will learn.

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 8:24pm
post #25 of 28

I'd love to go, but with a 22 month old, 5 year old and 10 year old, it would never work! I can only dream and wish you a great trip!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 12:34am
post #26 of 28

i would love to go---so sad, i really doubt i get to icon_sad.gif

cakecruise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecruise Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 2:02am
post #27 of 28

Thought I would post a reponse to try and answer some of the many questions about the cruise.
Firstly, the reason why we are having this event on the ms Noordam is for a number of reasons. The ship is fitted with a Culinary Art Center which is a fully equipped demonstration kitchen like a TV studio complete with large plasma screens on each side of the stage so that every comfortable seat will have a great view. (No squinting at an overhead mirror from the back of the room). Holland America is a great cruiseline and have the best access to Alaskan posts. They also have a wonderful kids program onboard called ClubHAL and basically, the kids are rarely ina hurry to get back to their parents except to tell them how great a time they are having.

The second thing to mention is the activities. For the presentations, Colette and Nic will be doing a joint project with both bringing their specialties to the project. They will be entertaining as well as instructional however it will be a presentation only and not a hands-on class. We will also be holding a group cocktail party plus conducting an informal CakeChat event which was very popular last Cake Cruise.

Our last Cake Cruise was held October 2005, and during that cruise, it was demanded that we do another. We had evry who attend complete a survey form and we have have taken the wish lists and any criticisms and put together CakeCruise 2007. Many of our original CakeCruisers have already reservered their space for this.

At this stage we are not planning on having vendors involved.

Hope that answers some of your questions.
Thanks
John

JoanneK Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 4:41am
post #28 of 28

Thanks John, I'm sure that answered most everyone questions. Also, if anyone has more questions John is the man to talk to. He is very helpful and knows everything there is to know about the cruise.

He has been very helpful to me and all my questions and requests.

JoanneK

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%