Job Opportunities ????

Decorating By Alclimer Updated 31 Dec 2006 , 6:34am by playingwithsugar

Alclimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alclimer Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 12:40am
post #1 of 7

Hi,
I'm new to this forum - just signed up today, so I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I did a search but really didn't find anything.
How do I go about getting a job in cake decorating? Do you suggest just going around to all the bakeries with a resume? I'm really interested in the decorating part not pastry making but if one comes with the other I'd be glad to oblige. I didn't go to pastry school so I can't get any of the jobs they offer in resturants or hotels. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
A

6 replies
katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 3:33am
post #2 of 7

Well, you can either go to independant bakeries and grocery stores and apply for a postition. Or you can, on your own time, learn to decorate by classes and/or trial and error (my way!hehe!) and then look at getting liscenced in your state and making cakes for the public.

Alclimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alclimer Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 3:25am
post #3 of 7

Thanks!! I'll look into it!!

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 3:34am
post #4 of 7

I just went to a bakery and told them how much i wanted to learn to decorate and they hired me and tought me all the basics and after that its just trial and error. So don't be afraid to try. And if that doesn't work just keep asking questions here. Everyone is so helpful that you could probly learn more here than in a wilton class. Hope it works out for you.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 3:39am
post #5 of 7

can you decorate yet?

every time i went in the gave me a cake to decorate....

it's not hard at all to get a job in a bakery.

if you can't decorate yet...take a class down at hobby lobby or michaels...that will help you get your foot in the door.

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 6:23am
post #6 of 7

i agree with katy625 trial and error is the best way, i had a job at a small local bakey and before i strated working there i had took a class at my local communitty college campus and you know what i learend more for free from my coworkers then i ever did in my class icon_wink.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 6:34am
post #7 of 7

What's the worst they can do, say No, right? You will never know until you try. There are lots of members here who started out that way.

My philosophy is that the only opportunities in this craft are the ones we make for ourselves.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%