Newbie ? On Stacking Without Messing Up Icing

Decorating By MichelleG Updated 8 Aug 2005 , 4:25pm by Gingoodies

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 7

This may have been covered before so please forgive me. How do stack a cake without messing up the icing on the bottom cake or the tier you are putting on next? Specially if you are using a cake board that is smaller then cake? Is this a silly question? icon_redface.gif

6 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 7

Hi MichelleG,

Not a silly question at all.

You have to use dowel rods to help support the cake so that it will not sink. After you place your dowel rods, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar or cornstarch.

Hope this helps.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 7

Sometimes you do mess up the base of the cake a little when lowering on top of one another... Most of the time, this can be covered with your borders and not seen at all ... I also push one dowel into my cake, pull it back out, cut, then use it for my template to cut the others.. then I push the dowels I cut into the cake leaving them sticking up about an inch or so.. when I have my cake evenly placed above the other tier, I very carefully slide my hands out and let the weight of the cake push the dowels down .. this gives you time to get your fingers/hands out of the way ... hope this helps you some!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks ntertayneme on that tip of letting the cake settle the dowels in place. What size dowels do you use? I use the 3/4 because I'm scared that the smaller will break but it leaves such a big hole.

MichelleG Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:02am
post #5 of 7

ntertayneme, thank you for that great tip. I have been so afraid to try this after working so hard to get a smooth finish. You have given me so many wonderful tips thumbs_up.gif

MichelleG Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:04am
post #6 of 7

ntertayneme, thank you for that great tip. I have been so afraid to try this after working so hard to get a smooth finish. You have given me so many wonderful tips thumbs_up.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 7

DUH!!! Now why didn't I think of that!!! Thank you Cheryl, what a great tip!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%