What Should I Do?

Lounge By jen1977 Updated 1 Jan 2007 , 5:01pm by shelbur10

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 12

Ok...we were at the mall last night, and they have a new play area for the kids. My 6 year old son either jumped or fell(not sure, but probably jumped) off of a slide that is abput 4 feet tall. The side of the slide is open, and there is no barrier, so the kids were jumping off. There is a tunnel that come out right under the side, and children coming in/out of it. My son landed on his foot wrong, and we took him to have it xrayed last night. They couldn't tell, but were pretty sure that is is fractured. He can't put any pressure on it at all. I called the mall a few minutes ago, and told them what happened, and she said she would pass the message on to the mall manager, but didn't take my name, number, anything. Should I call back and ask to speak with the manager to make sure that he gets the message? We aren't after any financial stuff or anything, we just want a barrier put up so no child can jump off of the side, and break something worse than a foot or jump on a child coming out of the tunnel?

11 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 12

I don't think you'd be out of line to call back just to make sure he's aware.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 12

I think you should call back or even go there personally and speak to the manager in person. Lots of the times they don't get the messages especially these kinds of messages. Yes kids are sometimes a bit rough on this types of equipment and it would only save some other kid from getting hurt next time.

jen1977 Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 12

I'm going to call this afternoon. It probably would be better ot go over there and speak with the manager in person, but I would have to take my 4 year old who has to have his hand held or he runs, and carry my 6 year old since he can't walk on his foot. Wouldn't that be a sight! The lady that I spoke with just didn't seem very concerned about it at all. They are lucky it wasn't someone who is lawsuit happy whose child got hurt!

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 12

I would contact them and let them know that this is a lawsuit waiting to happen and let the guy know exactly what happened to you as well as what could happen to another child. They need to be aware of what is going on and need to be careful because like you said someone will probably take action and file a lawsuit. It would be better to speak with him in person rather then to just call so that way he knows it is a big deal. But as you said it would be easier to just call so do what you find is easier dont go out of your way its not your fault that they dont pay attention to how things are put together.

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 7:00am
post #6 of 12

Tell the manager if something isn't done, you will contact the newspapers. They might like this story.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 11:07am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Tell the manager if something isn't done, you will contact the newspapers. They might like this story.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

I agree, you should definatly highlight the seriousness of this issue. Something worse could happen to another child and they'd be up for millions.

Goodluck and keep us updated.

Cheers
Mary

jen1977 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 12

Well, I left a message for him yesterday, and apparently he isn't too worried about it, because he's not called back yet. I'll try him again after 10 when the mall opens. DH said I shouldn't have let them know that I wasn't after anything financial, and they would have already taken care of the problem. Oh well. I'll give him another call soon.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 12

You are certainly entitled to change your mind about the financial matter, it would get his attention if you leave a message requesting reimbursement for medical bills (even if you don't really want it). This sounds like a dangerous situation that they really need to rectify. Kids will be rowdy on playgrounds, it is their responsibility to make it as safe as possible.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 12

You need to tell him that he has ______ days to fix the problem or that you will not only inform the media of a potential accident waiting to happen, but you will see a lawyer about neglecting a health hazzard for children and not taking the problem serious. It might not be the manager that has the answers as to what is to be done, it might be the owners of the building that need to protect the children because of insurance reasons. They do have insurance and at the very least they should pay his medical bill.

jen1977 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 12

I have contaqcted the property owners, but have not heard back from them either.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 12

Some local news stations have 'investigative teams' to look into things like this. This might be a job for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%