Why Do I Waste My Time?? (Long)

Lounge By shelbur10 Updated 27 Dec 2006 , 1:10pm by shelbur10

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 9

I am SO irritated with my family! I spent ALL DAY Christmas Eve making pillar candle cakes to put on a plate to display the cake balls I was taking to my parents' that evening. They weren't really meant to be eaten, I just wanted a cute presentation. They weren't perfect, but I was pretty happy with how they came out, my DH and kids said they looked good (I'll post a pic soon). Well, I arrive at my parents', very proud of my cute display, my mom looks at it and says 'oh, is that cake? huh, I would never eat that colored frosting' and never says another word. The only one who even commented on it, let alone complimented me, was my grandma, who was impressed. Why did I waste my time trying to do something special that got scraped down the garbage disposal before the end of the night?? icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif Can't I even get a 'Looks nice, you must have spent a lot of time on it'???

8 replies
Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 9

I know what you mean. I believe that most people do not have the PASSION for cakes/food like we do.

I am sure it was cute.

I was SSSSOoooooo excited. I wanted to make butter with my neice & nephew so I could show them the process & they were NOT interested & grossed out. Noone else cared either. icon_cry.gif

I am just glad that this site is here so we can share our passion with each other. icon_wink.gif

emmiepeterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmiepeterson Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 9

I think they really don't realize the amount of work it is or the amount of practice it takes to improve.

I'm sure they looked great.Brush it off!lol

Emily

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 9

post the pics because you know we'll all appreciate your hard work here!

shelbur10 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 2:36am
post #5 of 9

thanks for the support, guys! I can always count on CCers! I've posted the pic in my gallery if anyone would like to check it out. Seriously, it almost physically hurt me to watch this thing go down the garbage disposal...

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 4:30am
post #6 of 9

OMG just getting those vivid colors alone takes a long time! You must have worked so hard on these to watch them get tossed. That's just not right! The cakes look great by the way and I would have soooo torn in to one of them for a piece of cake and ate up all the cake balls too! You did a great job don't let poop heads get you down!

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 4:50am
post #7 of 9

Oh my goodness, I have absolutely no idea how you did these. They look amazing. I'd say don't worry what others say, they're just jealous they haven't got half your talent of making something like this from scratch!

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 7:27am
post #8 of 9

I know just how you feel. Every year, I make my daughter a dress or costume for her birthday party, along with a theme cake, and my mother never says anything nice. Since she can't find much to criticize, she'll make one comment like, "She's taller than the other kids," and completely ignore all the efforts I've put into the celebration.

But she has this (link below), so any contact with her is difficult and unpleasant.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder/DS00652/DSECTION=2

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. I like your cake candles and your presentation!

shelbur10 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 9

Wow, thanks so much for all the kind comments!!

Sounds a little like my mom, Swampwitch. After 31 years of trying to please her, I wish I could finally get to the point where I can say - I don't care what you think! Of course, I can never actually say that because that would start a huge fight...she's never wrong! Once while I was out of town, she took my house key from my sis and 'broke' into my house and cleaned (which it didn't need) and couldn't understand when I told her she was over the line...actually got mad at ME for being upset that she had violated us like that! It wasn't only my house, but my husband and children's, too. The last think DH wants is his MIL snooping around the house.

Oh, I could go on and on.... icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%