Help!!! Underbaked Cake

Decorating By Moviechick00 Updated 6 Aug 2005 , 7:14pm by Moviechick00

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 7

Ok we put a cake in to bake yesterday and this morning we found out that it had not baked all the way. I put it back in the oven to see if that would work its been in the oven for 30 mins now and still doesnt seem to want to bake all the way through. Any ideas how do I fix this or do I start over from scratch???? Thanks in advance. MC

6 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 7

Hi MC...might be better to start from scratch since it's been through the oven twice. If it happens again though, instead of putting it in the oven...try using the microwave. It will finish cooking it in the center.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 7

Once you take the cake out of the oven and let it sit, even for 5 minutes, its a gonner. icon_cry.gif In my opinion you will have to bake a new cake. This happened to me and no amount of re-baking helped.

Moviechick00 Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 7

I think I am going to have to start all over again. icon_cry.gif this has never happened to me before. icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif I guess it happens at least once to everyone. Thank you for the advice. MC icon_sad.gif

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 7

You gotta start over, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Sorry. icon_cry.gif

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviechick00

Ok we put a cake in to bake yesterday and this morning we found out that it had not baked all the way. I put it back in the oven to see if that would work its been in the oven for 30 mins now and still doesnt seem to want to bake all the way through. Any ideas how do I fix this or do I start over from scratch???? Thanks in advance. MC

Unless you want everyone to get sick, you had better start over.

If an underbaked caked is removed from the oven, you basically have about 5 or less minutes to get it back in the oven to finish. Otherwise, it cools too much allowing bacteria and other nasty things to settle in.

Some cakes such as chocolate lava cakes are underbaked purposefully so that the center oozes out when you cut into it, however these types cakes are served immediately.

Also.... here are some tips that can save you from underbaking in the future:

-- Trying lowering your oven tempurature slightly, and adding extra baking time. For example, if the recipe calls for 350 degrees for 40 minutes, try 340 for 50-60 minutes.

-- Try turning a metal flower nail upside down in the center of the cake batter, in your pan. The metal "spike" acts as a heating core to help distribute the heat to the center of your cake.

--Also, when you think your cake is done, before removing it from the oven, stick a wooden skewer or toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.

Moviechick00 Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 7

Well the cake was supposed to be a 12 x 3 double layer. Bottom layer was to be chocolate no problem there. Top layer was to be white velvet huge problem there. I was about to start over when the person I am making the cake for called and said I changed my mind I want just chocolate. Talk about lucky for me yayaya. I torted the chocolate layer and am about to ice the cake. Thank you all for your help. Thats why I love this site. Thank you!!!! MC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%