Should I Be Sad Or Just Plain Mad????

Decorating By butternut Updated 28 Dec 2006 , 2:22pm by brownlg05

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 106

Hello everyone. I am in need of some advice. I made a Christmas cake a few days ago for my SIL. She didn't ask me to but I knew that she had a lot of company coming in and I thought that I could help out by making the dessert. I asked her if she would like me to make her a cake and she responded with yes, that would help me out a lot. Well, she knows that I am not a professional, the only cakes I have ever made are in my photos. I've never taken a class and she is aware of that. She just asked that I make it fairly simple and that's what I did. I delivered it to her and I could tell that she wasn't real excited about it. She never thanked me or said anything about the cake. I left a bit hurt but I never said anything. The next day, another relative told me that she was not happy with the cake. She thought that it would be more "professional" looking and she wasn't even sure if she would serve it to her guests. She said that if she knew that it would be this unprofessional, she would have declined my offer and bought one. She did end up serving it but cut it into pieces before bringing it out so that no one would see what the cake looked like. She did however say that at least it tasted good.
Please tell me what I could have done to make the cake look better. I tried to download it here but I'm not doing something right. It is in my photos if you don't mind taking a look. This is really bothering me. Thanks so much for your help.

105 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 106

Is she nuts?! icon_confused.gif Your cake WAS beautiful and professional looking!

I'll tell you what you can do....stop giving your beautiful work away to people who don't deserve the love and effort you put into your work, that's what.

If it were me, I'd write her a note saying how sorry I am that the free cake I'd provided her with wasn't up to her standards and "Happy New Year!" thumbsdown.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 106

As Michelle would say, "HOW RUDE!"

That was very impolite of her as well as. . .UGH. . . icon_evil.gif

What an evil little rat! icon_mad.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 106

I just looked at your cakes and if she wasn't satisfied with any of those to heck with her. Let's see her top one of those. That is very ungrateful and I wouldn't volunteer anything for her ever again. You do a fine job and to bad mouth you to anyone is just nasty and disgraceful on her part. Keep your chin up and know God saw what you did AND what she did. thumbs_up.gif

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 106

I don't know how you should feel. I think you have a right to feel however you want to about that. I do know that your SIL is crazy. I looked at the cake and don't see anything that I would change. It looks great! The icing is smooth, the flowers look really good, the colors coordinate nicely. I just think your SIL needs a good lesson in being appreciative. I can't even imagine ever being that rude! I am really sorry that happened to you.

nglez09 Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 106

ARE YOU FRIGGIN' KIDDING ME?!!!!!!!

I just looked at her cake! She needs a trip to an optometrist!!!!!!!!!!

That's FAR more professional-looking than what most bakeries would make!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 106

If the white cake with the pretty poinsettias is your Christmas cake, your SIL is just nuts and not in reality...it is just lovely and you should be very proud..don't be sad, or mad...she is crazy.

You can tell by the comments people think your cake is lovely...we know about cakes..she doesn't...the end.

Have a great Christmas and keep on baking (but not for her..lol)

Jane

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 106

What you could have done to make the cake better was give it to somebody who would have appreciated it.
You did a VERY kind thing, and were treated very rudely. Skill has nothing to do with the thought of a gift. I haven't even looked at the cake but if it was the look of the cake your SIL was concerned about, she sounds kinda shallow.
I'm sorry your cake was treated with such disrespect. Don't beat yourself up over this at all.

You know...the more cakes you make, the more you learn and grow. My cakes are MUCH better each time I practice one or learn a new trick of the trade here on CC. When you do improve your skills, and your cakes attain a professional grade...tell your SIL that you are too busy making cakes for everybody else and you don't have time to make her one. Maybe she can go buy one from the grocery store!

Grrrrr.....sorry......unappreciative people bug me!
Enjoy your holiday Good Luck in the future icon_biggrin.gif

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 106

First, I think all your cakes, including the Christmas cake, are wonderful! I would be very excited to get any of your cakes as a gift or pay for them.
It is sad to hear that someone would respond to a gift like that, especially since it looked like you worked hard on it and made it simple, like she requested. Please don't let that discourage you from continuing to make cakes.
I guess there are certain people that you will never make happy, whatever you do.
You could talk to her about this if it will make you feel better but I would not waste any of your positive energy on this situation.
HTH!!

PS - I have in-laws SO BIZZARE that I can't believe my husband is even close to normal!!!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 106

Are you referring to the sheet cake with poinsettas with Happy Holidays on it? If so....uh.....maybe SIL needs to have her eyes examined! OR maybe she just needs an etiquette lesson! The cake is beautiful and IMO VERY professional looking. I'm sorry you had to deal with this during the holidays, but, don't worry, your work speaks for itself.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Beth in KY

danilis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danilis Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 106

Your cake is gorgeous and professional looking. I would also try to give her the benefit of the doubt, because I can't figure out why another relative would come to you with that kind of story - unless they maybe trying to stir up trouble.

Ask her if she like the cake and if she had any suggestions as you want to improve you skills. See what she has to say.

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 106

Ok so I just looked at the cake and I have a new comment....

IS YOUR SIL BLIND????

It's beautiful!!!! Send her a bill.... icon_twisted.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 106

The happy holiday cake---Seriously what is wrong with people?? The cake is great and it is too bad that she was such a snob!

Do yourself a favor and forget about the incident--and never make her a cake again!

LoriGross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriGross Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:02pm
post #14 of 106

Your cake is beautiful!!!

There is a bakery here in Maryland called "Cakes Plus." They are fairly well known and very "prestigious." I was just there to get some supplies and saw some poinsettia cakes in their display that weren't even close to yours. Your cake more than rivals theirs.

Maybe your SIL was a little jealous of your talents, so she acted mean spiritedly. Since it is the holidays, try to forgive her. Your work is just as good as the professionals!!

Have a happy holiday.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 106

There is nothing wrong with your cakes. They look better than most bakeries and if she has a problem with it, it's her problem. Sorry you had to "patiently endure" her attitude. We love you here!! icon_smile.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:06pm
post #16 of 106

Maybe you should ask her to help with your cake classes costs so you could make her a more professional cake next time????? icon_lol.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:07pm
post #17 of 106

Your SIL needs to take a flying leap!! That cake is gorgeous! What in the world did she expect???

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:08pm
post #18 of 106

You know, someone gave me attitude once and I told them "you're always welcome to do better." icon_biggrin.gif

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:09pm
post #19 of 106

YOUR CAKE IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I WOULD LOVE TO MAKE A CAKE THAT LOOKED AS GREAT AS YOURS! DONT WORRY ABOUT YOUR SIL SHE'S PROBABLY JUST GREEN WITH ENVY THAT SHE CANNOT DO SOMETHING THAT AMAZING. GREAT JOB! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:09pm
post #20 of 106

That is just crazy!! I can't believe that she cut up that beautiful cake before letting anyone see it. That is just wrong!! I am sorry you have that type of person in your family. There is usually one in every one. Don't you doubt yourself as a result of her craziness!! You do great work!! icon_biggrin.gif

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:13pm
post #21 of 106

Your SIL is certifiably insane and should be committed to a mental institution immediately!!! (Your brother/BIL may need to be checked out also for marrying her)

ALL OF YOUR CAKES ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!

Don't waste one more second of your life worrying about her comments, she obviously has no taste!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:15pm
post #22 of 106

First of all I'd like to says that your Christmas cake and all the rest are beautiful. I would never have know that you never took classes.
As for SIL, don't let her get you down. Be very proud of your work. To be able to make it look beautiful and taste good, she may be envious of your talent. I would not offer her another cake, if she hints I will play like I don't understand, if she asks tell her how much it will cost.

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:16pm
post #23 of 106

thank you bobwonderbuns for reporting it.

as for the christmas cake, its beautiful and very neat. the border is flawless. great job!

*edited to remove negative comment regarding post that has since been removed.

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:18pm
post #24 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakerator

thank you bobwonderbuns for reporting it.

Thank you for paying attention to it Moderator. If you would like to remove my post above regarding this situation, it would be appropriate. Thank you again! icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:23pm
post #25 of 106

Please, I've seen too many family feuds start over a misunderstanding.
Are you close to her or her husband? You should find out what really happened rather than taking just one person's word for it... It is possible that what you were told did not happen in the way it sounds.
She could have been run off her legs with all that company and felt that pre-cutting it would be easiest. It may have been thoughtlessness or tiredness rather than anything intentionally done.
Give her the benefit of the doubt until you know for sure, and then if it DID happen like that you're justified to make no more cakes. But please find out for sure...

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:23pm
post #26 of 106

Thank you all so much for your comments. Seriously, you don't know how much it means to me that you took the time to take a look at that cake and give me your thoughts. I went through a personal tragedy last month and am still having a difficult time and to be honest, even though I tried hard to decorate the cake as best I could, I wondered if my heart was really in it. When I heard about my SIL's comments, it made me think that I gave her less than my best and I actually felt guilty about it. But because of your comments, I do feel a lot better. I know the cake wasn't perfect. I'd never made poinsettias and I couldn't get the leaves all the same lengths but I thought that it was presentable. Anyway, again, thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Margie

nglez09 Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:29pm
post #27 of 106

Next time. . .give her a coupon for a free visit to the optometrist. . . thumbs_up.gif

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:31pm
post #28 of 106

Hmm. That cake is simply gorgeous.

But, I am wondering if maybe the person that told you what she said may have twisted it. It's like the "telephone game". Also, there are people who just like to stir stuff up....I would ask your SIL directly what she thought and what you were told in the spirit of "clearing the air."

This way you won't be resentful and can move on and feel more comfortable about her.....even if she really did say it all.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:39pm
post #29 of 106

I have to totally agree with everyone here, your cake is BEAUTIFUL!! The frosting is smooth, the boarders are perfect, and flowers are so pretty! I am not sure how much more professional it gets, lol=) It is hard to not want to please everyone(I have the same issue), but trust me when I say, someone else would have been so grateful and loved that cake so much! Don't let her get you down! Jen

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 9:46pm
post #30 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakerator

thank you bobwonderbuns for reporting it. **Moderator Edited**

Thank you for paying attention to it Moderator. If you would like to remove my post above regarding this situation, it would be appropriate. Thank you again! icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif Thanks bobwonderbuns!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%