Williams-Sonoma Snowman Cake

Decorating By paintforfun Updated 3 Jan 2014 , 3:02pm by asianyoushi

paintforfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintforfun Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 3:28am
post #1 of 9

Please help asap!! I was asked to make a 3D standup snowman cake (tomorrow), and just got the pan. The instructions show making a spice cake, but I want to make a white or choc. cake instead. Will the consistency work or do I need a heavier cake like a pound cake? Also the pan says it's a 10cup....does that mean I'll need to make a double cake recipe? Has anyone made this cake with the Williams-Sonoma pan?
Also, the instructions show dusting it with powdered sugar or using coconut, but I want to frost instead.....will a buttercream icing work? If anyone out there can help, I'd be SO grateful!! Thanks!!

8 replies
SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 3:34am
post #2 of 9

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=54096&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I hope I put in the link properly - I think we are all waiting for a succes story - I will be baking mine tonight and frosting tomorrow - we'll see! I am just using regular mixes.....

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 5:47am
post #3 of 9

Lord, honey! USE ANOTHER PAN!
Use the ball pan or a couple of bowls or the bear pan - NOBODY has been able to make that pan work!

7yyrt Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 5:52am
post #4 of 9

Some other cakes:
LL
LL

paintforfun Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the feedback. I'm NOT going to try the 3D today, so I need to come up with something else......maybe just the front part of that cake pan on a sheet cake. Think that would work?

7yyrt Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 9

Yes it will work. The front part laying down on a sheet has been used by several people with no problem. The problem comes with that darned vertical seam.
Oh I'm SO glad we caught you before you tried it!

paintforfun Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 9

Not as glad as I am. icon_smile.gif As it is, I'm feeling good about the way it came out instead of being VERY frustrated and unhappy with the results trying to make that thing stand up! This site is a lifesaver! Thanks again and Merry Christmas!!

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:53am
post #8 of 9

Wow! My mother gave me this cake pan for a Christmas present! I haven't been ablt to make it yet. Well, I am gonna try to make it, maybe next week. I'll let u know IF it comes out , lol. The problem with selling this cake is the transporting it to your clients...I went to my local shop where I get all my cake boxes and equip and they had NO box that would fit that cake! So, I don't know how else I could actually sell this cake unless I made it in the person's house, lol. icon_wink.gif

asianyoushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asianyoushi Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 9

i made a cake with the cake pan this Christmas.. i had to try it two times.... the first time the cake crumbled to pieces within 5 minutes of standing up. second cake stood up and was delicious. you definitely need a heavy cake- i did a devils food cake.http://www.pinterest.com/pin/71987294017740231/

i decorated with white sugar crystal sprinkles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%