Question - How Did You Learn To Decorate

Decorating By nickluke0705 Updated 4 Jan 2007 , 3:32pm by STX44703

nickluke0705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickluke0705 Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 11:17am
post #1 of 37

I took a buttercream course 10 years ago. I think it was wilton's first course. Then I took a one hour course somewhere else and learned to make some gum paste. I am thinking of taking Wilton's course 3? Or should I go to Course 2? I rather read books or watch DVD.

36 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 11:32am
post #2 of 37

From the looks of your beautiful cakes, you could just take a masters course or buy some DVD's.

nickluke0705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickluke0705 Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 11:37am
post #3 of 37

I was thinking I need more help on details. Any ideas on DVDs? I am going to post my last wedding cake. I way undercharged but it was for a friend's daughter. I only charged $300. I thought it was a 6 out of 10.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 11:40am
post #4 of 37

www.kitchenkrafts.com had DVD's and books. You could check that site.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 11:42am
post #5 of 37

I decorated my first cake in 1990 and that was the last one until June of this year I took the first wilton course and I was hooked. I took all three courses and will take the fourth in February. I absolutely love cake decorating. I'm not to fond of the whole baking part of it but I love creating new designs. My husband is an executive chef so he gives me a lot of pointers. I learn alot from my books and watching shows. Your cakes are great. I think the master course from wilton would also be great for you. I hope I get to take it within the next year.
Keep up the great work!
Faye

Ray75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ray75 Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 11:43am
post #6 of 37

nickluke, your cakes look great...I taught myself and it shows! Maybe I should take a course, I really wanted to go to pastry school but that never panned out...

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 37

I totally agree. I think your cakes are beautiful. I just finished course 1 and the only problem with learning on a DVD is you miss so much fun not being at the class. I made new friends and got tons of new ideas. My teacher taught the "Wilton" way, but then taught us "her" way, which sometimes was better. So which ever way you learn, keep it up, you do a great job.
icon_biggrin.gif
Jen

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 37

your cakes are fantastic....i would just keep doing what your doing, but if you have access to classes and feel you would benefit from taking them, i say go for it...

i am totally self taught, i started making simple novelty cakes for the kids birthdays then i found CC back in march and i have learnt so much from just being on here...

their are no classes available to me, i just learn as i go and experiment with different technique's that i pick up from all the talented members...

so thats basically how i learnt and are still learning.

kylie

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 37

Im self taught too....was'nt many courses around 30yrs ago....so I spent many an hour just practicing tech's...through the night most of the time, I just would'nt leave it alone till I got it right lol...but I think if I was just starting cake decorating now I would have booked me some classes, and got plenty of dvd's....I'm going to book for course on modeling (with Aine2 when her courses are up and running).... looking at your cakes, you are more than on your way to doing them anyway...they are great.

Denise icon_smile.gif

Melody120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody120 Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 37

I taught myself most of the techniques about 8 years ago when I ordered my son's first birthday cake and thought it looked like something I would enjoy doing. Baking has always been my forte. I took all three Wilton classes a couple of years ago to see if there were any new techniques and tips and I learned so much from those classes. Most of it was the tips from other people that you wouldn't find in the books. I am now getting all those tips from CC. I love it here.

Melody

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 12:28pm
post #11 of 37

Taught myself, and thanks to CC my techniques have improved. My biggest problem is design. What would I do without all of you and CC?

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 12:55pm
post #12 of 37

i took wilton 1 & 2 never did 3 as it was always being cancelled. i learned new techniques from books and just earlier this year took a class with Nick Lodge and learned embossing and stencilling on fondant. I LOVE BOOKS!!!!!!!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 6:09pm
post #13 of 37

I started out with just a basic beginners course through our local recreation center. Wilton classes were not available in small towns in 1959. From there I pretty much learned on my own, but I bought lots of books and Mail Box News was big at that time too. Since then I have taken every class I could afford and I have had some wonderful instructors who have done amazing classes. Edith Gates, Nic Lodge, Ewald Notter, Jacques Torres, Alice Medrich. The only two I have not taken and would love to would be Alan Dunn and Debbie Brown. The nicest thing about taking these classes is that you are able to share what you have learned, and help other decorators coming along the way. And I have had other decorators help me as well, I wish they had computers and Cake Central for me all those years ago.

I don't consider myself to be a professional decorator, haven't been to a culinary academy. But another thing I have found is those who are professional and competition quality decorators are often the ones who are the most willing to answer a question for you. They are sharing and sweet, not aloof at all. I have emailed wonderful people such as Beryl Bird of Just Fabulous Pastries and she sent back a 2 page email walking me step by step through a process. I had another one call me and spend 20 minutes on the phone explaining how to create a pulled sugar waterfall, and how to do chocolate spraying. Sue McMahon of England who did the gorgeous dipped gumpaste flowers on the winter cake challenge on Food Network just sent me a Christmas card and enclosed was a CD she had burned for me with Lambeth cake template designs because she knew I loved that type of work. So, don't be afraid to ask, all they can do is say no. And chances are they will be happy to share with you. And then you must share with other's, kind of like the movie Pay it forward?

krzyzak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krzyzak Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 37

I been self teaching myself. then when I was stationed in germany. My sargent showed me how to work with fontant and color flow. I must did a good job at this because we has a comption at thanksgiving time against the dinning facltiy and we made 9 cakes and i made 3 of them by my self and help with the decoration on 5 (color flow peices) of them and my sargent made 1 and we won for best decoration. then sence I came back to the states i have gottn more brave on trying new things thanks to CC. we got to love this site for all the idea's and help we get from each other.
stacey

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 2:02am
post #15 of 37

I finished taking Wilton courses 1&2. Waiting for course 3 to register for it. I have heard people say that they don't like taste of fondant...so, this course is not really one I am looking "that" fw to. I don't really like the baking part either, I really enjoy the decorating. I just wish I could work alot faster.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 2:12am
post #16 of 37

Although I did take the Wilton classes, I really didn't learn much from the instructors themselves but more from watching, reading, and doing. I learned to make perfect shells only after I saw a video on making them; I always made crappy shells before. But anyway, yea, from reading and watching. That's about 60%. But 40% from CC. You could right an encyclopedia on cake from just the threads- an exact textbook. thumbs_up.gif

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:41am
post #17 of 37

I've always been a baker - my whole family bakes from scratch (mom, grandmothers, etc) so I grew up baking. My great aunt was a caterer, and used to make wedding cakes. When I was 8 years old, I was fascinated by a neighbor down the street who used to make and decorate wonderful cakes, and she gave me a Wilton cake decorating kit for my birthday gift. I've always made my own cakes and buttercream icing and made relatively simple cakes for my parents' birthdays and a few close friends ever since then. About a year ago, I started trying my hand at decorating with a bit more enthusiasm . . . I discovered cake pans, and cookie decorating, and I've slowly learned more through this web site and a few other forums. If there is an event, I come up with an excuse to make a cake! For my birthday my parents and husband bought me a certificate for a cake decorating class, so I finally signed up and I start next week!

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 37

I was self taught - just got into it and played a lot. It started when my oldest was about 6 months old (she just turned 20).
I did a lot of the kids birthday cakes, got really good at replicating Sesame Street characters. lol

I took Wilton 1 and 2 this year - and learned so much more. I had a great teacher though - that helps!

I'm going to take Wilton 3 this year - and I'm really hoping to take a couple of sugar classes at the Wilton School, since it's in my backyard so to speak.

chubbycheeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbycheeks Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 7:17pm
post #19 of 37

Self taught, started when my oldest was 1 year old (he's about to be 8!) and he had a "train" birthday. I just had to do a train cake! icon_smile.gif Goodness, we could barely get the cake into the fridge!! We kind of thought about that AFTER we made it/built it. LOL.

Mrs262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs262 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 10:22pm
post #20 of 37

I am teaching myself, too. I have always wanted to learn cake decorating, so here I go!! lol. I am short on a babysitter (hubby has to be available at all times) and money so wish me luck!! I have faith after reading all of your posts!

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 10:35pm
post #21 of 37

My mom taught me some of the basics, like frosting a cake and doing a simple border. I took the Wilton classes last summer/fall and learned the rest. I've only done one paid cake but I use my co-worker's birthdays for excuses to practice techniques and new recipes. I entered a cake in the 4-H fair last fall and got a blue ribbon even though I hated the sucker. Already planning for this year's fair.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 10:38pm
post #22 of 37

My first decorated cake was over 6 years ago for my daughter's 3rd birthday. It was a Barbie cake. I am a counselor for a girls group at our church, and asked a friend if she would teach us cake decorating just for fun. The girls had a blast and I made sure I paid attention. I used to only do cakes my family for the first couple years after that, then my sisters wanted decorated cakes for their kids, so that is the standing birthday present for the nephews and nieces. They really get into the planning and look forward to it, which makes me feel really good. I decided to go into business this past year after lots of encouragement from my family and of course seeing all the advice and ideas right here!

So in answer to your question, I have never taken any classes--except the one night from Bea, and she was teaching on 6th grade level at the time! I have baked and decorated lots of cakes for family and for practice, and I firmly believe that is the real key. Just keep practicing and asking questions and trying new things. I would love to take a course just to get ideas and tips from others, but we don't have any around here. So I just visit CC often!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 10:48pm
post #23 of 37

a little of this and a little of that. my grandfather was a cake decorator's apprentice back in the 1930's, then he was a professionaly cake decorator until the 1980's. he taught me drop flowers and royal icing when i was about 13.

on a whim, i told DH i wanted to try cake decorating, and he got me a set for mother's day last year. i taught myself from the book and watch cake challenges on FN.

I took Wilton Course 1 in november, due to take courses 2 and 3 and gumpaste soon.

I too find any excuse to make a cake. And when I don't have an excuse, I make one anyway and have DH take it to work.

dawnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnell Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 10:54pm
post #24 of 37

I teach the Wilton classes. I have to say it really depends on the teacher on how much you actually learn in the classes. The course 2 and 3 have very little to do with eachother. course 2 is all flowers, that people seldom ask to be on cakes but you do learn the basketweave which so cool. course 3 is my most favorite because i think you can really start to find my your creative style but on the other hand, i have learned so much from this website. Overall, just stick with it and try what ever you feel most comfortable with. But if you do have a hobby lobby close by the wilton classes are only 12.50 for the next few months.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 11:02pm
post #25 of 37

Self-taught by studying the Wilton Book of the year 28 years ago!!!! When my baby graduated in 2005...I decided to take the Wilton classes and learn to do it right. THEN...discovered a gumpaste teacher and Cake Central and it seems like there are new things to learn at every turn! As long as it remains fun~ I'M IN!

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 11:09pm
post #26 of 37

I had always wanted to decorate cakes but it wasn't until I retired last year that I finally took the 3 Wilton classes.
I am having a ball with my new hobby. So far I've given my cakes to family and friends. I did do a graduation cake for the price of the ingredientsplus about $5.
I have also learned alot from CC. It is super to be able to type in my questions and get help from all over.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 11:16pm
post #27 of 37

As others have noted, your cakes are fabulous! You definitely don't need to take a course -- just keep reading and watching whatever you can!

I started decorating when I was 18 and worked at Baskin Robbins. I got the basics there and then didn't really start up again until I was 34. Then I couldn't stop learning everything I could. I read Wilton magazines and watch videos and decorating shows, of course!

You're so good with fondant! I can't wait to try my hand at doing some of the techniques that you've already done so well at. Bravo!

thumbs_up.gif Sarah

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 5:28am
post #28 of 37

I taught myself through reading Wilton magazines. I decided one day that I wanted my make my own children's Birthday cakes, so I just started reading and practicing. I've learned a lot of tips on CC!!

frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 5:36am
post #29 of 37

I went to one course and learned how to pipe flowers. The rest I have learned by coming here on CC and another forum here in Scandinavia, reading books and meeting with other decorators.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 7:07am
post #30 of 37

Don't bother taking the Wilton Courses. Looks like you could teach them a thing or two. Just expand on your techniques. Add to them don't change them. Your creativity alone is what makes you excellent at what you do!!! thumbs_up.gif

I took 12 weeks of decorating classes from an independent decorator with 30 plus years experience including White House events, and recieved two certificates six years ago. Everything since then has been self taught.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%