Am I The Only One???

Decorating By becky27 Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 6:13pm by Auryn

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 16

ok so i have been making alot more cakes lately and each cake i do, just seems to be coming out better than i anticipated!!! and i was just wondering if i am the only freak who after a cake is completed just sits there and admires the cake and just dies when i see how truly cute it came out!!!!
Me, my mom, my sister and daughter have this thing where we will walk out of the room, just to walk back in and be "surprised" by the cake!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA omg....i sound like a complete dork!!! but what is really bad is now the men are doing it too!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i am just dying!!! i love my family for being so supportive!!! however if the men walk in and act like "whatever" then i know the cake needs more work until they walk in and jump up and down....hahahahahahaha!!! anyway just thought i would ask if any of you have a silly tradition or thing you do to know when a cake if finished or not??!!! thanks for sharing!!!! and have a great day!!!!!!!

15 replies
Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 16

I have to say that I am more and more impressed with myself as well.

I finished my pumpkin cake & scarecrow cake. And I am not a person who can make faces and all that kind of stuff but my scarecrow came out awesome.

So yes I know what you mean.

Congrats to you as well.

procrastibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
procrastibaker Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 16

Don't feel bad, I have more pics of cakes on my phone than I have of my kids. My kids are always with me so people see them anyway!!!!!!Lol icon_biggrin.gif

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 16

My hubby has me after I finished a cake "can't stop staring at your cake"? "nope" says me.

You are not alone. hahahaha

Congrats on your cakes that you know are awesome!!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 16

Yes I do admire my cakes after they are completed. My DH and DS admire them too. DH tries to play like it's no big deal, but he always wants to know what I charged. Then he says what he would charge (like he really knows what goes into it). Sometimes I even open the box back up to look at it or open the container. My co-workers also look forward to the next cake. The latest cake is always my screen saver at work.

fbgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fbgirl00 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 16

Ok, I also have all my cake pictures on my cell phone, and I e-mail them to myself so I can show people at work. I am definately a perfectionist when it comes to my cakes and if it doesn't come out the way I had planned I get really bummed out even though the family still thinks it is awesome.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 16

OMG! It is so funny that this came up. I am SUPER proud of my Halloween cake I did this past weekend. I spent a lot of time planning it, but I still didn't think it would come at as well as it did!

And I'm with you Mika! I have twice as many pics of my Halloween cake than the Halloween party itself!

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 16

My hubby will first walk into the room where the cake is, tell me how gorgeous the cake looks with his eyes wide open and that great big smile he adds. Then he will walk outside for a smoke break (I wish he'd quit smoking all together)he-he... and when he comes back in, THEN he will "critique" the cake.

Which I appreciate from him, but sometimes, I DO find myself telling him he is "too over critical" of the finished product. He will really REALLY pick out things on the cake which sometimes drives me nuts and THEN I feel like I am underestimating myself in my ability to do cakes.

I keep telling hubby that when the cake person who is getting the cake will not "pick out" each little flaw in a cake, those are going to happen. They will be too excited in either crying, awing or ooogling the cake at how it looks, tastes etc........

Oh well, what are you gonna do??
But I do the same thing, I go out of a room, come back in and just stare, and stare and stare and sniff the wonderful flavors coming out of the cake and stare and stare some more......

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 16

Yep, I probably email more pictures of my cakes than of my kids! LOL!

Everyone who sees my cakes before I am done (including me) thinks they are never going to come out that well, so I am always pleasantly surprised! But if I look at it too long I start seeing all the flaws and try to fuss with it too much, usually making it worse, so I try to not stare too long!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 16

i am so glad you can all relate...however i am DYING due to "mika"'s response....HAHAHAHAHA i am the same way.....i think there is one pic of the kids(and they are together at that!!!! ) the rest are cakes!!! man i can't stop crying i am laughing so hard!!!!
delisa01-after i finished the dolls to the princess cakes...i kept them on the table and my uncle kept asking me the same thing..."still playing with those dolls?" hahahahahahahhaa
tyty- why haven't i thought of a screen saver...oh its on sister!!!!! hahahahahahahaha what a great idea!!!!

cookinmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmamma Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 16

I think I am just the opposite. Yes, I do get excited over my cakes when the family thinks they are great...BUT....I stare at my cakes until I can see every tiny little flaw. I am my WORST critic. There is always something wrong with my cakes (that only I can see), and I pray that no one else notices. I am getting better with each cake I make though. It is getting harder to find those errors! YEAH! Like the wedding cake I did for my brother, I think that was the smoothest I have ever gotten buttercream icing! Anyway, I think it is great that you marvel at your creations. It is better than fretting over the little rough corner that no one else knows about. LOL.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 16

LOL, my hubby is not really impressed anymore by my cakes. But I do know what you mean...sometimes I surprise myself at how well a cake comes out. Like if it actually looks like the vision I had in my head.

Courtney

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:22pm
post #13 of 16

OMG! I went GAGA over the cake I made last weekend. It was my first party cake, for my own birthday party. I've been planning this cake for over a month, and being a rookie I was just hoping for it to come out ok. It came out better then I imagined! At the party I was just like "look at the cake!!!" just to hear my friends reaction. And when they said "you made this?!?" "that's awsome" I was happy like a little girl, with giggles and all. It's the best feeling in the world!!! icon_lol.gif Even my sons called their friends to show the cake! icon_biggrin.gif
I took lots of pics of the cake and posted one in the gallery. I was too going back to see it again and again, just thinking "girl, you are good!" hahahahahahahaha
I'm hoocked in making cakes and can't wait for my next project.
Now I know what it feels!!! GREAT!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:36pm
post #14 of 16

Glad to see I'm not alone. I also leave the room and come back. My kids think I'm weird. They aren't easily impressed and make fun of me

Yesterday I practiced making a petit four wedding cake with a 2" chocolate 3-d mold. It's sitting all by itself on a covered cake stand. I keep taking the cover off and admiring it from every angle.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:54pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Glad to see I'm not alone. I also leave the room and come back

I do this too!! icon_biggrin.gif So glad I'm not the only one!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 6:13pm
post #16 of 16

i wish i had that problem
after 3 days working on my own cake i dont even want to eat it anymore

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%