Covering Mini Cakes With Fondant

Decorating By rnoullet Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 4:14pm by sweetreasures

rnoullet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rnoullet Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 5

I am great with fondant on regular sized cake but how do I cover mini cakes with fondant? Do I roll it out thinner? Would it be easier to use poured? I just don't know. I need these to be flawless. Thanks for your help.

4 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 5

I've never done it, but poured fondant would seem to be the way to go.....

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 5

well i just covered some mini cakes (dolls) in fondant...and the couple that i did...well i did them all but only like two were not covered by a flowing dress...but rather laid tight on we covered as i would a normal other cake...and it worked fine...
however, poured sounds like a great way to go!!!!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 5

I did these not too long ago. I rolled the fondant just like always but I cut out circles using a teacup saucer as a guide to lay over them then I smoothed with my hands and cut the excess at the bottom off.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1061703.html
They were about 21/2 inches and I had torted them

jibbies

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 5

I've played around with MMF just for the sake of learning. I think it would be a lot of work working with smaller pieces in fondant, but then again I've not perfected it yet. I'm experimenting with a mold for petit fours and thats working out well. I used almond bark, but don't really like it for the covering. I've not tried poured either, but from what I've seen of other mini cakes, you would probably need to use more than one coating of poured fondant for a flawless look, especially if it is thin. Experiment a bit with a few cakes to see which works better. You can always thin or thicken the poured fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%