Now That The Fondant Is On The Cake?

Decorating By JennaB Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm by MacsMom

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:38am
post #1 of 6

Now that my fondant covered cake is completed, the cake is settling and the fondant is buckeling. Can I put the fondant covered cake in the frig? I just want to make sure that the frosting under it doesn't continue to get soft and go bad before I can get the cake to the store to sell.

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 6:20am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to cake central. Putting it in the fridge may stop the slide, but as soon as it starts to warm it could continue sliding.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 6

It could be a few different things causing this. Too much filling so it's starting to settle, also sometimes softer fluffier cakes will settle a little under the weight of the fondant. It's usually best to fill and let the cakes sit overnight to settle, or at least sit for a few hours.

Also, it could be that you rolled the fondant too thick and it's still stretching. You can either rip off the fondant and redo it. Or you could try to go around the bottom of the cake and cut off the excess with an xacto knife if you don't want to start over.

Good luck!
Courtney

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 6

I wouldnt put it in the fridge...Fondant also sweats making it sticky and tough to do anything with. Its probably best just to let it finish settleing then trim the extra from the bottom, hopefully it wont tear along the edges, you may have to take it off and start over if that happens.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 6

I would recommend resmoothing it after it settles and retrim. Good luck.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 6

Fondant is fine when you take it out of the fridge. Condensation does develop but I use this to my advantage to help adhere embellishments. It does eventually dry, but it takes hours, so I take my cakes out of the fridge 5-6 hours before delivery. You can use a fan to help speed the process.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%