Please Help!

Decorating By ladycake17 Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 5:26am by adobewife

ladycake17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycake17 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:11am
post #1 of 6

I have a wedding cake this weekend and I just got a call asking me to put a chocolate colored ribbon on the bottom of each tier. Is there a special kind of ribbon I need to get so that the icing doesn't soak into the ribbon? Also, I use butter in my icing, what is the whitest butter I can buy. The bride doesn't mind that I am using butter in the icing because she loves the taste of my icing, but I would like to get the whitest look that I can, so if anyone can tell me it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:18am
post #2 of 6

If it's a crusting icing, you shouldn't have a problem with the ribbon. Use polyeurothane (i.e. "PolyU") ribbon, not polyester. I use the PolyU ribbon and the only grease spot I get is the dot in the back where I connect the two ends.

Even the ones where I weave the ribbon thru the basketweave (and I'm using icing straight from the decor bag that hasn't had a chance to crust yet) I dont' get the grease spot on the PolyU ribbon.

I find this ribbon in the craft section at Walmart.

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:21am
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure about the ribbon... but to help with the icing color, try Wilton White-White (here is a link so you can see what it looks like)

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30B53A-475A-BAC0-5FBDEF5E8A8FCFF2&fid=0EC60A47-475A-BAC0-54338024A0B6A5A5

I use this all the time in my BC recipe when I need to get that yellowish butter color out of the icing. If I am using a lot of it, I will usually add a little bit of powdered sugar to thicken up the icing. (the white-white is a liquid)

Around here they sell it in all the craft stores (Michael's, etc) and in the cake shops.

HTH!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:22am
post #4 of 6

One of the best tips I've read here on CC is to cut strips of Press-n-Seal plastic wrap the same width as your ribbon and simply press it onto the backside of your ribbon (there is a sticky-side to the Press-n-Seal).

To help make a whiter BC, just add a tiny bit of violet food color. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems to be another popular tip here.

Challenge butter is pretty pale; CostCo's (Kirkland) is NOT very pale in color.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:00am
post #5 of 6

I use a lot of organza ribbon. (Or organdy??) Whatever it's called. It's the really sheer stuff. I have never had a grease spot with this and it looks really elegant. You can get it from Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I had a bride once who brought me the ribbon she was using on the bouquets and I knew instantly it was going to stain. I rubbed the entire ribbon with a really thin film of Crisco and purposly stained it, then put it on the cake.

Test the ribbon for colorfastness before putting it on the cake. Put a drop of icing on the end and let it set overnight. I once put red ribbon on a wedding cake the night before and it bled. The cake was pink from the ribbon halfway up the sides of the cake. It was a last minute dash to redecorate everything.

I have also heard the "violet cancels yellow" rule. But I have also read many cautions about starting with a teeny tiny amount of violet and going a little at a time. I have used the Wilton white-white before, but if you use a lot, it changes the consistency of your icing since it is more liquid than the paste colors.

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:26am
post #6 of 6

Land o'lakes is very light, they do not add coloring to their butter, also alot of the European butters do not add color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%