Cupcake Cake Pricing Question

Decorating By mawagner Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 9:36pm by mawagner

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 12

Today I sent a Halloween cupcake cake into work with my DH. He had a co-worker mention that she would like to order one...but she wants it for Wednesday. My question is how are these things priced and what would you charge for a cupcake cake with 25 cupcakes. There is a picture of the exact cake she wants in my photos if you would be so kind to look and offer some advice I would appreciate it. She mentioned 25.00 but I wasn't sure what an average price would be for something like this. Thanks in advance!

11 replies
lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 12

I'd say $35. I personally feel that we cake decorators are underpaid and under-appreciated. lol But really, that's a lot of work with the accents and details for only $25. IMO icon_smile.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 12

I agree...at LEAST $35!

BTW I like your pics! thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:58am
post #4 of 12

I charge the same as I do per serving for cake. It takes me the same amount of time or longer to decorate a cake for 25 servings as it does to do a cupcake cake. So I start my pricing at $2/serving, if it is filled or detailed decorations on top the price goes up.

Minimum price $50

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:27am
post #5 of 12

I just started out so I only charge 1$ a cupcake for the CCC but even I feel like that is not enough. Your CCC is MUCH more detailed than mine are so I think you could charge at least 35-40$ for the one in your pics. It is so cute icon_biggrin.gif

mawagner Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:08am
post #6 of 12

Thanks for your pricing ideas! I have a very difficult time charging people for items that I make and usually end up saying "don't worry about it!" It frustrates my DH to no end. Thanks again!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:26am
post #7 of 12

45 dollars. It was nice of her to suggest a price, but it's really worth a lot more than that.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:45am
post #8 of 12

I have done several cupcake cakes and my price for one like yours would be $55.00. Its really cute. You did a great job!

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:22am
post #9 of 12

I would charge between $25.00-$30.00.... but do more than $35.00..good luck

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:27am
post #10 of 12

For as much detail as you have pu into yours, I think $2 a serving, which is one cupcake, is a fair price. That would be $50 for 25 cupcakes. For $25, she can get one dozen cupcakes. I have to remind people, I'm not the grocery store! I don't buy in bulk or get discounts. I pay retail, so they pay retail. It's the details that separate you from the grocery store. You have to charge more than a store to make the same amount of profit!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:23pm
post #11 of 12

If she wants the one in your picture, I would charge at LEAST $40 for it. It's not just a regular CCC.

Great work. Love the cake!

mawagner Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone! She doesn't want it now until Saturday, so I have a little more time. Does any one have any good suggestions for traveling with this cake? She wants to pick it up on Sat. afternoon but will then need to travel with it on Sunday. I am worried about the tree, cat and ghost. How do you handle that? Would you have her insert them whe she arrived or would you do it before and hope like crazy that they make it one piece?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%