Hate To Measure Shortening? Try This!

Decorating By good36 Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 5:07am by mezzaluna

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 29

I hate to measure shortening for my frosting. So I have been buying the Crisco pre-measured sticks, which is very expensive.

Anyway.... I bought a stainless steel ice cream scoop and it works great!!! Mine is the size of a 1/4 cup, so 4 equals one cup. I am so excited and it is so easy. Shortening just slides out with the flip of the handle. It is the old fashion style with the squeeze handle, but in stainless steel. I found mine on sale for $4.00. What a deal!

Just thought I would share.

judy

28 replies
sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 29

YAY! I gotta go measure how much mine will hold. I never even thought of using that to measure stuff. Great idea!

QueLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueLinda Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 29

Great idea on using an ice cream scoop.

Thanks

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 29

I use the liquid/solid push measuring cup from Pampered Chef. Loved it so much, got a second one this past show. I also like using it for pb and honey.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 29

That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing!!

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 29

I hate measuring out the shortening thanks a bunch for sharing your idea, I will go out tomorrow and pick one up.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 29

This is the one I use; i got so sick of measuring shortening. Someday I'll graduate to a digital scale!! http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13126780

ladyhawk1nlm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyhawk1nlm Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 29

I also use the ice cream scoop to fill my cup cakes...

avenje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avenje Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 29

I weigh mine on my electronic scale. I don't use measuring cups for anything. I measured out what I always use for my shortening, sugar, etc., weighed it once, wrote down the weights and that way I never have to use the measuring cups again. I measure my liquids on there too! 1 cup = eigh oz. etc..no need to eye it on the flat counter to see when it reached the right line.

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 29

Hey Judy,
I just wanted to tell you thanks for taking the time to post your tip. I can't wait to try it. I've been struggling with my shortening now and I've tried several other things, such as the measure all cup but nothing is easy. This sounds super easy. I can't wait! Thanks so much!!-Alison

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 29

Wow. What a great tip!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:13pm
post #12 of 29

I also hate to measure shortening....I have resorted to lining a 1 cup measuring cup with saran wrap, filling it up and then pop the whole thing out and wrap it using the extra saran that was sticking out around the cup. I do this to the whole can and then put the pre-measured 1 cups in a large ziplock and when I need it for frosting or pound cake, I pop it out.

If I get the scoop you are talking about, I could just plop two scoops on a piece of saran and skip the 'lining the measuring cup' part...... I also tried one of those funky cup things that extrude it (made for measuring messy stuff like peanut butter and shortening) but it was such a pain to clean, it wasn't worth it! Thanks again for the tip icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 29

I go by weight as well. it is the fastest and easiest way to asseble the ingredients.

MollyBea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyBea Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:55pm
post #14 of 29

Thanks for the ice cream scoop idea!!

sarahkate80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkate80 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:35am
post #15 of 29

I have the Pampered Chef measuring cup, too, but you still have to fill it up and squish the shortening down to make sure it is full. I am pumped about trying the scoop.

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:42am
post #16 of 29

I'm with Elserj, I too use the Pampered Chef push measuring cup. I have used it for years, I would be lost without it! When I go to a PC party and they ask what is your favorite product I have to say it is my push measuring cup!!

~ihavasweet2th~

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:44am
post #17 of 29

Oh yes... I use the (I think it's) #12 which is 1/2 cup and it makes it so easy. I scoop it directly out of the hi-ratio box, level it with a bread knife, then flip it right into the bowl! Too easy and much cleaner!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:47am
post #18 of 29

Darn! You mean I have been measuring shortening the hard way for nothing!!! Good grief! Why didn't I think of that a looooooooong time ago! I have one of the old fashioned scoops you are talking about and use it for ice cream frequently!
You are a smart cookie for thinking to measure it out like you did! Now..............I am going to go measure a scoop of shortening in mine and see how much it is. This has to be an all-time greatest tip for me! Thank you for sharing this!!!! thumbs_up.gif

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:51am
post #19 of 29

LOve the idea. What about putting the scoop into a cup of boiling water, drying it and then scooping. Seems it would release it easier.

I too usually use the p. chef solid measuring cup.....but I will be trying this tip next.

Dee

Teekakes Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:58am
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Oh yes... I use the (I think it's) #12 which is 1/2 cup and it makes it so easy. I scoop it directly out of the hi-ratio box, level it with a bread knife, then flip it right into the bowl! Too easy and much cleaner!

icon_surprised.gif Melvira!! What is your excuse for not sharing such a valuable tip with us!!!!???? Giiiiiirrrrrl, scooping that hi ratio out of the 5 gallon bucket is the part I HATE most about making frosting and can't believe I've had one of these scoops right in front of me everytime I make frosting! Oh my Looooooord! icon_redface.gif

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:50am
post #21 of 29

*hate to measure shortening?*

There is a new invention called a DIGITAL SCALE and it works wonders for weighing everything. Sugar flour butter eggs.... you name it. I couldn't live without mine.

Teekakes Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:03pm
post #22 of 29

Digital Scale..................not hardly a new invention, I've got one but would rather measure most than weigh most.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:18pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

icon_surprised.gif Melvira!! What is your excuse for not sharing such a valuable tip with us!!!!???? Giiiiiirrrrrl, scooping that hi ratio out of the 5 gallon bucket is the part I HATE most about making frosting and can't believe I've had one of these scoops right in front of me everytime I make frosting! Oh my Looooooord! icon_redface.gif

I can't give you everything I've got in my reserves, can I? A girl's gotta have some mystique!! Again, this is something I figured most people knew about. I rarely think I've come up with a unique idea... I guess I should be less sure that I'm behind the curve, eh?

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:26pm
post #24 of 29

Yeppers.....I'm one of those that was still measuring! I can't wait to use my scoop next time! Thanks for sharing the idea!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:41pm
post #25 of 29

I own three of the pampered chef ones myself. Just another tip for you, if your measuring something like honey or corn syrup, spray the inside with Pam and it will come out easier without having to scrape the inside!

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:15pm
post #26 of 29

I use the displacement method.
Example: Need 2 c. shortening - Fill large measuring cup w/3 c. cold water, add shortening until water reaches 5 c. mark. Pour out water, dump shortening into mixer. Measuring cup is very easy to clean.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:16pm
post #27 of 29

I use the displacement method.
Example: Need 2 c. shortening - Fill large measuring cup w/3 c. cold water, add shortening until water reaches 5 c. mark. Pour out water, dump shortening into mixer. Measuring cup is very easy to clean.

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #28 of 29

I place a piece of saran wrap into the measuring cup and after I get it filled with the shortening I just grab the wrap and plop it into the bowl and the cup is 'clean'. icon_smile.gif
Susie

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 5:07am
post #29 of 29

well teecakes, of COURSE I know that digital scales are not a new invention. I've been using mine for , like, twenty years or so.

I am just so surprised that so many people still waste so much time measuring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%