Banana Cake

Baking By Trance Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 3:50pm by tyty

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 10

Hello-
I just got a request for a Banana Cake and have never made one before. Not a big fan of Banana's thumbsdown.gif Anyway, I found some recipes on the site, but was just wondering if anyone had any others that they know are delicious. Don't have time to do a taste test cake because of the short notice given for the cake.
Thank You
Kelly

9 replies
BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 10

I really like the banana cake from the Cake Bible. It is cakey rather than bready, which is what I really like about it. I served it filled with whipped chocolate ganache and glazed with poured gananche. One of the people who ate declared it the best cake she has ever had - ever! High praise indeed.

Trance Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 10

Is that recipe on this website? If not, do you have the recipe and could you possibly send it to me?
Thank You

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 10

I like the banana cake from the WBH book. I made it for my daughter's birthday with a banana flavored BC filling and plain BC frosting. It was a big hit.

Trance Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 10

tyty-
Would you have the recipe handy?

Thank You

RICKASH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RICKASH Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:35am
post #6 of 10

Hi Kelly
Here are a couple of banana cakes that i have done and have had good positive feedback.
this one is for my white chocolate/banana mud cake. Mud cake consistency with a banana flavor.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6828-5-White-Chocolate-Banana-Mud-Cake.html

this recipe below for banana cake it is soo moist, and dense enough to hold decorations. It has a super moist cake texture with a real banana taste.

1/2 cup oil
1 & 1/2 cups castor sugar(normal sugar will be fine)
2 eggs
3-4 mashed bananas (large ones)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup milk with 1 teaspoon vinegar added
1 & 3/4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
(1/2 cup sour cream-optional.)

* Preheat oven to 350.F
Prepare 2x20cm cake tins.
mix oil and sugar until well blended.
Add eggs and bananas and mix well.
Add baking soda to milk/vinegar mix.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt and sift.
Alternately add milk and flour and mix well.
pour into prepared tins and bake for about 30 minutes.
(you can place in 1 collared tin for approx 45 mins test with a skewer).

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:07am
post #7 of 10

This is the Cake Bible banana cake:

(This makes 1 x 9" cake so if you want to make a 4" tier you have to double the recipe.)

1 cup bananas (2 large ripe bananas)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups sifted cake flour
3/4 cup + 2 T sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
10 tablespoons (5oz) softened unsalted butter.

Preheat oven to 350F

In a food processor process the banana and sour cream until smooth. Add the eggs, lemon zest and vanilla and process briefly to blend.

In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend. Add the butter and 1/2 banana mixture. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium (high if using hand held mixer) and beat for 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape down the sides. Gradually add the remaining banana mixture in 2 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients.

Scrape batter into the greased and lined pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightily pressed.

Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes before unmolding.

Give it a try, it is a really nice tasting cake!

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:22am
post #8 of 10

I just made a banana cake for a customer a couple of weeks ago and according to her, it was the best banana cake she ever had. The recipe is pretty much a standard banana cake. I think the key to a good banana cake is to use really over ripe bananas...I mean to the point that the skins are nearly black!

I got the recipe from here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1624-6-Banana-Cake-II.html

I made a 9x13 but doubled the recipe anyway. I had enough batter to fill the pan really full and still have enough for a small 6" round so I could sample it as I had never used this recipe before.

tyty Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 10

I'll call home in a few and get the recipe for you. I'm at work right now. I can't get in CC from home. I hope that problem in fixed soon.

tyty Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 10

Here it is, sorry I took so long.

WBH banana cake

8oz. unsalted butter

1 1/2 cups light brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

3 lge eggs

3 over ripe bananas

3 cups sifted cake flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

cream butter and sugars, add eggs, add mashed bananas, beat in flour sifted with baking powder and salt.

Bake at 350 25-30 min.

For the banana BC filling I mixed BC with banana flavor. The cake was iced in plain BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%