The Church Cake Is Completed, Eaten, And Just A Memory Now

Business By missmeg Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 11:40pm by apclassicwed

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 8

But what a memory! Thank you so much guys for all your suggestions these past 4 months as I prepared for this cake.

I had the most difficulty with torting the larger layers. I completely cut a diagonal off of the 12" square trying to cut with the larger of the Wilton cake levelers icon_mad.gif . I ended up cutting them with dental floss to get them even. I swear I used cake shims to try and make it level! But there was still a noticable "dip" in the middle of my cake - like almost 3/4" difference. My solution was cut cut 16 dowels and place them in the cake prior to icing. Then I piled my icing high and just evened out till I hit the dowels icon_smile.gif. That way I knew my layer was level, even if the cake underneath wasn't icon_wink.gif.

I only lost one dowel icon_surprised.gif . I have those cake jacks. I used 18 of them, but only 17 came out of the cake. Oops.

Question: how do you EASILY cut cakes? I've read the tutorials here, and did what was suggested (including bringing latex gloves). It was by far one of the messiest things I've ever done. Half of my slices were complete mutulations. Thankfully the banquet event was full of my friends.

Oh - the caterer asked for some business cards thumbs_up.gif and I got a cake order from a church member by the end of the night...due this Sunday!
LL

7 replies
kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 8

Congratulations thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 8

Use a cake comb for cutting the cake. You can get them really inexpensive at this site: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-399863.html Unlike your hand, the comb supports the ENTIRE piece of cake from tier to plate.

Here is a photo guide on how to cut a wedding cake from my website, using a cake comb. I can NOT cut a cake without one of these! It shows round cake, but you do it the exact same way on square cakes: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 8

Oh thank you indydebiicon_smile.gif. Yet again you have helped me out. I was doing essentially what you described, except cutting 1-inch strips and then slicing 2-inch pieces from them. They kept on falling apart.

I'm going to get a cake comb. Fabulous tool.

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 8

What a lovely cake!

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 8

Is that thing really a cake comb?

I use it to make sure my veggies (onion, zucchini, tomato, potato) are all evenly sliced when I make a Portugese gratin (or any gratin, for that matter). Interesting!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranberryClo

I use it to make sure my veggies (onion, zucchini, tomato, potato) are all evenly sliced when I make a Portugese gratin (or any gratin, for that matter). Interesting!

I've heard it called an Angel Food Cutter, a cheese cutter, and a hair pick! (My story about the time it was laying on the cake table at an African-American wedding...it kept disappearing. I finally went to the wedding coordinator, who was also African-American, the 3rd time it disappeared and asked her about it. She said, "Debi, I'm gonna tell you this as bluntly as I can. You're in a room of African-American people. There is not one person in here who thinks that is a tool to cut a cake!" Then we both burst out laughing ... and found the comb!)

I've used them for 25 years. Invaluable!

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranberryClo

I've heard it called an Angel Food Cutter, a cheese cutter, and a hair pick! (My story about the time it was laying on the cake table at an African-American wedding...it kept disappearing. I finally went to the wedding coordinator, who was also African-American, the 3rd time it disappeared and asked her about it. She said, "Debi, I'm gonna tell you this as bluntly as I can. You're in a room of African-American people. There is not one person in here who thinks that is a tool to cut a cake!" Then we both burst out laughing ... and found the comb!)

I've used them for 25 years. Invaluable!

You know when I saw the cake comb, I said that it looks like an Afro pick (comb) from the 1970's ! I rembember my brothers & uncles with this type of Afro pick either in the back pocket or stuck in the hair--so Debi, I know why your cake comb kept disappearing!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%