Warm Hands And Decorating Bags Do Not Mix Well!

Decorating By CakesByBabycakes Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 4:22pm by nechee

CakesByBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByBabycakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep my overly-warm hands from making the icing in the decorating bag melt or get too soft? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

8 replies
nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 9

keep an ice pack next to you to cool your hands down every once in a while. I have the same problem with warm hands and this seems to work.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 9

Sometimes I just start with firm icing, knowing that my hot hands will soften it! icon_smile.gif

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 9

everytime you wash or rinse your hands in the sink do so ending in the coldest water rinse you can get for a few seconds. washing your hands in hot water warms them up substantially. aside from that i like the ice pack idea! i have this problem especially with chocolate buttercream, where eventually the buttercream starts turning darker colors in the bag from the chocolate melting icon_sad.gif gross!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 9

I have a new idea that came to me when I was piping a 3-tiered wedding cake and two sheet cakes with all IMBC scroll work, AND I have hot hands. I was always going in the freezer and chilling my hands on anything I could find, then I think I actually said "Eureka!" when I thought of this...

Fill two icing bags with your icing. Put one in the fridge, and start piping with the other one. When it feels like it's going to start getting too soft (or even before, and before the other one chills too hard), switch them, taking the tip off the softening one and putting it on the chilled one. Put the softening one in the fridge and work with the chilled one for awhile. Switch back and forth. It worked great!

Ck41500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ck41500 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 9

I have the same problem!!!! I have tried the ice packs. They didn't work for me. I think my hands over compensated for the cold and kicked in the heat big time!! Hope you find something!
I only make cakes for my kids, and now I have a winter baby, so maybe that will help!! icon_wink.gif

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 9

homecook has a great idea! i was going to suggest that, because that is exactly what i do.

CakesByBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByBabycakes Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much for your replies!! At least I am not the only one who melts the icing!!

nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 9

I like the chilling the icing idea. Maybe I will try that too. Thanks Homecook.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%