Wilton 1 Or 2? Please Help!

Decorating By onegr8girl Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm by Brujalita

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 4

I know that you don't have to take the courses in order, but here's my question. I took a 6 week class at a local cake store and made several cakes and learned quite a bit. Most of the cakes I made are in my pictures.

Here's my question. I'm thinking about taking a Wilton class at Michaels and I'm not sure if I should take Wilton 1 or go ahead and skip into Wilton 2. I don't want to be horribly bored, but maybe I could use the practice. Opinions please!

TIA icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 4

Wilton 1 is good basics, like shell borders, piping, and of course the buttercream rose.

Wilton 2 does not necessarily come after Wilton 1, I think it is meant to stand alone. It is basketweave and royal icing flowers.

Since they are so different, I can't recommend one or the other. Even if you already have some knowledge, Wilton I is a great way to set the foundation for everything else. I would start there. icon_smile.gif

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 4

I have been a hobby decorator for 13 years and just recently decided that i want to do more than hobby baking. So I decided to take a wilton class. I wanted to start with class 2 but was told that I HAD to take class 1 first. It was very basic, but I did learn how to make a bc rose and the practice didn't hurt either!!! Alot of the things taught I already knew, but I was never bored and still had fun. If I were to do it over again, I would start at class 1. Good luck

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 4

Talk to the instructor. Ask her what techniques are taught and decide if you either want to review/practice what you've already learned or perhaps learn something new. Personally, what I've done if students approach me is I tell them what techniques are taught and let them decide. I've also had a couple of students that have taken the confectionary class thru the local community college (a semester long class) and they've told me that they learned more in my Wilton class than they did previously (and it was cheaper!). icon_eek.gif Go figure! Try to contact the instructor and go from there. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%