Brownen Weber's Cake

Decorating By Charmed Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm by tye

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:41am
post #1 of 18

Hi,
anyone knows how to make a skeleton hand like the skeleton hand holding the top cake by Brownen weber on spooky cake contest? I just saw a little part of the show and did not record it icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
Was it modeling chocolate or fondant? Was it covering a dowel? you know to support the top cake?

17 replies
Charmed Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:25am
post #2 of 18

anyone??

Charmed Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 18

I need help icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 18

If I remember right, it was made out of pastillage. HTH.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 18

I would think it was wrapped around a dowel or pvc pipe.... I have that taped on my DVR right now so I can try to watch it and find out for you.

Courtney

Charmed Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:30am
post #6 of 18

Do you think each finger was done individually or it was just one piece? if they were done individually how were they connected?

mamacc Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 18

Ok, I watched it again last night... First of all she has a special stand made to look like the bones of an arm. It was black until they painted it and both pieces were curved like real bones so it couldn't have been regular dowels... I'd like to know what she made it out of! Anyway, then she made each finger on it's own wire and then taped all the wires together with white tape.

Hope this helps!
Courtney

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 18

Why dont you email her and ask her? If she doesnt respond, maybe someone that works with her will.
www.frostedart.com

mamacc Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Why dont you email her and ask her? If she doesnt respond, maybe someone that works with her will.
www.frostedart.com

You're right...it cant' hurt to ask. I've been wanting to ask her about her fondant sculpting, what she uses underneath the fondant or is it just a thick layer of fondant??

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 18

I'm pretty sure it was a wire sculpted hand she then covered in fondant.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:32pm
post #11 of 18

I think she carves the cake and makes certain features stick out more than others. Then covers them with extra fondant before she lays her fondant coating over the entire piece. She did that when she made Ursala in the Disney Villian Challenge.

mamacc Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

I'm pretty sure it was a wire sculpted hand she then covered in fondant.

She actually forms each finger on wires, and then tapes them all together...kind of like you do with gumpaste flowers.

Charmed Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:

www.frostedart.com

That is a good idea, thanks thumbs_up.gif

Charmed Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

Ok, I watched it again last night... First of all she has a special stand made to look like the bones of an arm. It was black until they painted it and both pieces were curved like real bones so it couldn't have been regular dowels... I'd like to know what she made it out of! Anyway, then she made each finger on it's own wire and then taped all the wires together with white tape.

Hope this helps!
Courtney

Thank you Courtney. I wonder what material she used for the arm bones...

mamacc Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:13pm
post #15 of 18

Maybe some kind of strong metal?? I wonder if you could use copper tubing?

Charmed Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

Quote:

www.frostedart.com

You're right...it cant' hurt to ask. I've been wanting to ask her about her fondant sculpting, what she uses underneath the fondant or is it just a thick layer of fondant??

Please let us know when you find out what is underneath the fondant

Charmed Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:14pm
post #17 of 18

Just wanted to thank you all thumbs_up.gif

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:

I think she carves the cake and makes certain features stick out more than others. Then covers them with extra fondant before she lays her fondant coating over the entire piece. She did that when she made Ursala in the Disney Villian Challenge.

for the halloween contest she actually she didnt carve the cake prior to covering it with fondant.. she sculpted right into the fondant.. they asked her how she did that and it has to do with the icing underneath.. i'm sure its was very thick as well as the fondant..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%