Freezing Sugar Cookies

Baking By abbyg7 Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 10:46pm by abbyg7

abbyg7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbyg7 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:03am
post #1 of 4

My son's fiance wants to do a dessert table in addition to a cake at her reception. She would like sugar cookies as one of the options. Since we need a fairly large amount of cookies we will be making them in advance and freezing them. Should they be decorated before or after freezing? If we freeze before decorating how long should we wait to decorate after they are thawed? If we decorate before freezing do we have to wait for the icing to dry before we freeze them? Thanks.

3 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:25am
post #2 of 4

I've done both. If you freeze first they only take a few minutes to thaw to ice. If you freeze after the icing does need to be dry first.
If you're going to be be busy in the days before the wedding icing before freezing would be best.

I'm assuming that you're using royal icing though.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:27am
post #3 of 4

Hi

I would suggest you make, bake and decorate and then freeze if you can. I'm doing that right now, with tons of Xmas cookies.

Yes, you do have to wait until the icing drys.

I'm sure other CCers will help you as well. icon_biggrin.gif

abbyg7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbyg7 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help. And , yes, we will be using the royal icing. I'm sure I'll be back for more help. I've gotten lots of tips and ideas from this site. I really appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%