My Cake Fell Over! (Not Too Bad, Though!)

Decorating By indydebi Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 3:15am by indydebi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:50am
post #1 of 11

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1153773

I transported this cake in two sections. (Boy, once you guys convinced me about that dowel down the center thing, I'm hooked!)

I wasn't two minutes away from my door when I hear a noise ... check the rear view mirror and the box with the top two tiers is tilted and leaning into the bottom two tiers. I swing over off the road and get out to check the damage.

It's not TOO bad. My square edges and corners are nice and rounded now, but no cake broke off and I can "squeeze" the edges into place with my hands. It tilted into the bottom tier only .... the 3rd tier was untouched and undamaged.

I resecure the cakes (I packed the cake wrong ... corrective action applied!) and drive the 30 minutes to the country club.

I wasn't planning on having a shell border on three of the tiers, but had to add it to cover the damage. A few extra dots on the sides covered some other bad spots. If you look at the 2nd tier (from the top), you can see an indent on the left side where I didn't get it squared away very well, but the shell border camoflauged it well.

Kudos to Kerri Vincent! This is why she said she will not do a cake without a border! Whew!!

The banquet manager was at the table while I was setting it up (she was getting the napkins out 'n stuff). She helped me by pointing out a couple of places that needed covered (cake was showing thru)....a little border here, a dot there and we're good to go! When I finished, she said, "No one would ever know it tipped over! It looks good!" so I felt very relieved!

So while it wasn't a REAL disaster, my heart was in my throat when I looked in that rear view mirror!

10 replies
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:53am
post #2 of 11

P.S. This is the cake that we waived the balance for the couple as they are both military and he is shipping to Iraq for the 2nd time very very soon .... our once-a-year "free" wedding..... I shared that story a few days ago. So I was feeling DOUBLE bad that here I was doing a free cake for them because they are a very special couple and they get one that looks crushed! icon_cry.gif

But .... all turned out well! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:57am
post #3 of 11

P.S.S. A funny footnote.....There were about 5 weddings going on at this club, so there were a number of us vendors delivering at the designated delivery door. As I was rolling my cart in with the cake on it, another decorator was unloading her cakes. I stopped and starting laughing. She stopped ... looked at my cake and started laughing.

Our cakes were identical!!! Burgundy ribbon on square cakes with dots!! I said to her, "At least we know what the popular cake is THIS week!"

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:35am
post #4 of 11

No way. Thats impressive that 2 different vendors make the same style cake. LOL that could fit into a couple of the threads of copying others cakes icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

The cake looks great by the way.

icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 11

Yikes! Great save! The cake is beautiful. I'm curious, though... why didn't you put a top border on the bottom tier?

indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Yikes! Great save! The cake is beautiful. I'm curious, though... why didn't you put a top border on the bottom tier?

Interesting you should ask. I talked to the lady from the club about it. I told her it was originally suppose to be a plain border, but since I added shells to the upper three, should I add it to the bottom or leave it a little different and unique? She thought the edges looked nice and liked the clean look and she voted for "leave it".

It was pretty much just a coin toss.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 11

She's going back, back, back.........all the way to the fence.....reaches up, catches the ball in the tip of her glove...........and saves the game. Wahhoo! Indydebi saves the day!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Good work Debi.

By the way, congratulations on donating the cake to our military couple. usaribbon.gifthumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gif

Diane

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 11

The coolest part of the story is the donation of the cake to a Military couple! Jewels in your crown!!!

Nice save on the cake! And yes, it WAS a real disaster! Anything that goes wrong like that is a disaster the way I see it! Your disaster just wasn't as bad as it could have been. My heart was in my throat while I was reading this! Glad it worked out so well for you and the cake is very pretty!

How strange is that for there to be two near identical wedding cakes at the same time same place!?

jenwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenwright Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 11

All the hard work on this cake shows and it looks wonderful! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Too funny about the other decorator with the same cake! icon_surprised.gif

Way to go on donating to military! thumbs_up.gif Support the troops! usaribbon.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 11

Kudos to you on the save and the donationicon_smile.gif
Interesting about the other cake being delivered.

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:15am
post #11 of 11

Oh by the way ..... I forgot to "testify" that with the center dowel, the 6" cake never budged from the 8" cake when it tipped over! The only damage was to the edges of the cake that came in contact with the other cake and the sides of the box. It didn't even slide a micro-millimeter!!!

Wow! I'm so glad I learned that little trick on here and was smart enough to give it a try! Even tho' it sounded pretty scary ("Take a big stick and hammer it thru your cake" .... geesh, what a scary direction!) icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%