Checkerboard

Decorating By ljdills Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 6:15am by sweetreasures

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:34am
post #1 of 2

I have a customer who is a Tennessee Volunteer fan. They want the infamous orange and white checkerboard on the cake. Does anyone have an idea on a simple way to do this other than cutting hundreds of individual squares?
Thanks !

1 reply
sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:15am
post #2 of 2

There was a chess board cake posted the other day that was brown and white checked. Sorry I don't know how to do the link, I'm sure she could help you. But from my quilting experience on doing this type of pattern, and not ever using fondant, I would roll it out the length you need and cut into strips. Lay strips side by side alternating colors the width of the cake. I would lightly roll over it again to "sew" the strips together. Then cut cross wise to make the checked pattern and re-roll to "sew" the fondant together. lay on cake. That's how I'd try to do it. Don't know if you could lightly pinch the strips together. If you were to try it out make sure that whatever color strip you start with you need to end with the other color ie:
lay out orange/white/orange/white/orange/white. When it's cut cross wise and placed together the second row will be white/orange/white/orange etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%