Any Ideas How To Make This Leis On This Cake?? (All Finished

Decorating By Karabear1125 Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 4:07am by Karabear1125

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:35am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,

I am SO stuck! icon_sad.gif I have to finish this cake for tomorrow and I have everything done except for the leis that is on this cake..does anyone have any idea what or how I can make this?? I have tried the playdough factory and tried to make tassle types but they look sorta clumpy and to much together.. I would REALLY appreciate ALL the help I can get!! Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif
LL

11 replies
krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:45am
post #2 of 12

looks like they used a small daisy cutter and cut out the blosson and then used a paint brush to mold the flower around it and then inserted each flower into the other one maybe attaching them with water, sugar glue, or royal icing.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:46am
post #3 of 12

here's an idea...

make a rope of fondant and cut them in one inch pieces. take a pair of scissors to cut slits into one end so its frayed. push a short dowel or something into the middle to open it up a little and then set it down while you make the next one. insert them into each other with a dab of water or royal icing to stick. make it on the cake as you go.

melysa Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:48am
post #4 of 12

krazekaker, that is a good idea with the daisiy cutter. to me it looked more like wheat (haha) instead of flowers, so i kind of zoned. but i think that would look great using the flower cutter. it would even look cool with several colors.

krazeekaker Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:53am
post #5 of 12

melysa i was thinking like you were to begin with. (great minds think alike...lol) i think it would work either way. the multi color idea would be great too.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:06am
post #6 of 12

how about just cutting strips of colored fondant with ( if you have the ruffle cutter.) a pizza cutter make waves with it and ruffling the edge of each strip and then take a kabob stick and sprialing it up the stick. Make sure the fondant won't stick to the stick LOL. sorry could think of anything else to say.

It should slide off of the stick and as you do lay it down in place. you might need to do it off to the side and stack a couple together and also you may want to fluff up the ruffles.

The only other thing you might have to do is to place what ever you use to make the fondant stick to its self, in some places. I hope this makes som sense.

Karabear1125 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:52am
post #7 of 12

You guys are truly the best!! I so mean that! icon_smile.gif Thanks so much for the help!!! I tried both techniques but I am sooo tired that I think I just kept screwing up, so I just kept it the other way w/using the playdough fun factory..oh well. Hopefully they like it.

Well here it is , let me know what you think and if it looks at least similar to the picture.. Thanks so much again!! icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

Karabear1125 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 7:00am
post #8 of 12

Sorry for the post again, Do you guys think I should add some like brown sugar or something by the sandals ? I just noticed in the original it looks like there might some sort of "sand" going on, or just leave it be?? Unfortuantley I have no idea how to do those little orchidy flowers to go with, so they are on thier own for that haha

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

PS, I probably shoulda made the little sandals bigger huh?? OK I just need to go to bed! ahhh lol

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 12

Love it! Please put it in your photo album, I would love to save it to my favorites.

krazeekaker Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 12

i think it looks great like it is. you did a wonderful job. you colors look much more vibrant then the original one!

melysa Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:43am
post #11 of 12

oh i agree, its great! the flip flops are a tad small, but the shirt is really really nicely done. the colors totally pop and the lei looks awesome. really clean work, way to go!

Karabear1125 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 4:07am
post #12 of 12

Thank you soo much Melysa! I figured the flip flops were small but it was so late and I was soo tired anyways..but overall the customer loved it and kept saying how much it looked like the picture so that made me happy!

Thanks again everyone!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%