How Is This Possible?

Sugar Work By ANicole Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 3:18am by sgilmer

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:08am
post #1 of 12

My candy melts didn't melt. They just sort've "baked" and became a thick glob. I thought these were idiot proof! I feel like such a moron right now. All I did was mix about 7 or 8 yellow melts with 2 chocolate melts to try to create a caramel color. It never melted, just got thicker and thicker!

11 replies
Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:18am
post #2 of 12

Hey-

How long did you melt them? Did you do it in the microwave? I have noticed that sometimes if ou over do it, it becomes a hard mess.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:22am
post #3 of 12

You could add a little crisco to try and smooth/ thin it a bit...

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:22am
post #4 of 12

how and how long did you melt them? The temperature needs to be a slow even consistency for these things to work right. Microwaves can mess them up big time!

S.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:25am
post #5 of 12

Also, if you get ANY water in them, they'll harden up into a big clump.

ladyhawk1nlm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyhawk1nlm Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:31am
post #6 of 12

I had the same problem..i used the chocolate pro melting pot. mine came out the same way ..only thing i could think of it was old chocolate....i threw it out and started over had no problem with new bag of melts...

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:46am
post #7 of 12

I've had it happen to me as well. I just figured I nuked them too long. Try adding a little bit of vegetable oil to it to see if you can get it to smooth out, but just a little bit at a time....kinda like when you add regular icing color to candy melts- you gotta have that fat in there to keep it smooth (and to give the color to hold on to.)

Good Luck! Don't give up!!!

-Michelle

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:47am
post #8 of 12

I've experienced water in almond bark as it was melting over simmering water and it does get harder. I used it anyway to practice with - it was pliable and I pressed it into a mold. I melted the other 1/2 in the microwave for 15 seconds each and stirred each time. Kind of annoying in 15 second spurts, but no water got in. I Think it took about 90 - 105 seconds. Turned out great

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:54am
post #9 of 12

I, too, wonder how long you melted them for. When you melt candy melts they do not lose their shape, only get shiny. So if you melted them too long looking for them to melt down they may have burnt.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 7:16am
post #10 of 12

A couple tablespoons od crisco will help....make sure your heat is not too hi
and also you can use parafin wax to thin it..........

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 12

The Wilton Chocolate Pro Melting Pot has been a lifesaver! I'm not usually a big fan of Wilton gadgets, but this thing is amazing! It keeps the chocolate at the right temperature. Takes about 5 minutes to melt a bag (I mix with some choc chips to thin it a bit), and it rarely goes bad. Just have to watch out for getting the liquid in there. You only need to stir it a couple of times while it is heating.

S.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:18am
post #12 of 12

Did you stir them any? White chocolate stays the same shape even when it is melted. If you melted it and did not stir it, it will not look melted. If you then put it in the microwave longer, it probably baked and scorched just enough to ruin it. I've done this before. Just make sure you stir it every so often. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%