Anyone Having Fly Problems?? K, No Laughing! :)

Lounge By CakeDiva73 Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 6:57pm by ozcake

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, now this may be terrible off topic but I am going to lose my mind!! Is there some sort of a fly epidemic going around because they are bananas and I cannot get rid of them!

We live in a suburban neighborhood - not out in the country. Our house is tidy, our garbage is at the curb, our soda cans are outside for recycling, there is no filth or rotten food of any kind yet my garage must have 40 or 50 flies every time I go out there icon_cry.gif ..... We checked the rafter since occasionaly a rodent or animal may get stuck and perish icon_lol.gif but there is NOTHING!!! No odor - nothing but flies!

Other then fly strips (gross but effective) is there anything out there they don't like? Are others having this trouble? Is it the last minute heat wave?

Sorry to ask you all but google didn't turn anything up and I am one of those 'gotta cook clean' sort of people.....I am forever re-wiping surfaces as I cook and I can't handle them - thx icon_redface.gif

10 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 11

hmmm I dont know where you are located but I do know that when its nice and cold outside the flies sure do try to get inside my nice warm house .. maybe that is a possibility?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 11

Call Grissom at CSI ... he'll know! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 11

You might want to ask your exterminator about "cluster flies." We get them in the attic of our house and temperature changes seem to make them more active. Our only success has been in having the area sprayed.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 11

You all are going to laugh at this but when we get flies in the house in the summer time.....you can find my hubby running around with the vacuum cleaner hose and when he gets up close to one he turns it on and sucks them up...Yup..Gone and no mess!! I died laughing the first time I saw him doing this!!!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

You all are going to laugh at this but when we get flies in the house in the summer time.....you can find my hubby running around with the vacuum cleaner hose and when he gets up close to one he turns it on and sucks them up...Yup..Gone and no mess!! I died laughing the first time I saw him doing this!!!

lol, I can picture that now icon_razz.gif

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 6:09am
post #7 of 11

We don't have a fly problem this time of year because it is 45 degrees right now (Idaho) BUT in the day when it warms up, we have a HUGE bee problem. Every time the door opens, they swarm in. I even had a guy come check for hives all around my house...none. My DH thinks they are attracted to the smell of all the sugar in the icing and fondant.

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:55am
post #8 of 11

I remember hearing that flies don't like mint so if you know someone that has it growing in their garden maybe they could give you some or if not try the supermarket I think you are supposed to put a bunch in some water (like you do with flowers in a vase) but I have never tried it so I don't know if it works it might be an old wives tale.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 11

Ok, well at this point I am prepared to get a mint tree and re-pot them in every room in the house as well as twelve in the garage and make a mint necklace to hang around my neck! icon_lol.gif Cripes.......glad to hear no one else is having the same trouble - thanks

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 11

that's interesting about the mint. I'll have to try that next year. My mom planted some mint outside her house this summer and it's already starting to take over. I guess mint can be a really vigorous plant and tends to take over so you have to really watch it. Hey, if it keeps away the flies though.... icon_wink.gif

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 11

icon_lol.gif I am getting a visual of you wearing a mint necklace, let me know if it works

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%