Decorating Countertop?which One?

Business By kettlevalleygirl Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm by kettlevalleygirl

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 15

I May?? have the opportunity to add a small kitchen in the basement that I could use to do my decorating, (baking will stay upstairs in my kitchen). I was wondering what the best countertop, would be??
Stainless Steel, Granite, Marble, or just regular countertop material. I work with fondant, so I will be rolling it out on that, or should I stick to using the big plastic sheet I bought at Walmart??
The measurements would be approximately, 6 feet by ? however wide they make countertops??
Thanks Lorene

14 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 15

I selected regular formica for my counter and I love it.

granite is expensive and fragile - stains and watermarks are common
Stainless is nice, but it will show scratches
Marble, extremely expensive and cold-fondant needs some warmth

My mistake was selecting all white. It shows every tiny thing. It does provide lots of illumination in my small space. Choosing again, I would choose a light pattern that is predominately white.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:41am
post #3 of 15

I have 2 4ft stainless steel tables and they are great and easy to clean its for decorating so the scratches don't bother us.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:56am
post #4 of 15

I have granite and LOVE it! Use cutters directly on top of it and doesn't leave any scratches icon_smile.gif Cleans up easily too!

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 8:03am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesondemand

I have 2 4ft stainless steel tables and they are great and easy to clean its for decorating so the scratches don't bother us.

I have the stainless steel tables as well.. Have to agree with Sharon, It's so easy to clean..

kettlevalleygirl Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks for the input..I tried to find this post after I placed in yesterday, and could not find it... icon_cry.gif
I guess there is a glitch?? or something that prevented me from finding it, I even did a search looking for my own question, and couldn't find it icon_confused.gif
So I thought, I would wake up this am and try it again, yehHH icon_biggrin.gif
I like the idea of granite, but the cost?? probably a lot more than even the cupboards for this small kitchen..
Stainless, I also thought would be good, just because the durability etc..
Thanks again, Lorene

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 15

I have quartz (Zodiaq by Corian), and the other big quartz one is Silestone.

I love my counters.

BUT... if you don't really care about the look... I think stainless is probably a really good option.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 15

I have Corian. Stain and scratch resistant, which is a big help when making something with Super Red. I have always been able to get the stains off easily.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 15

My neighbours just remodelled their kitchen, and they put in Corian. It is beautiful, a big huge island...
I have heard it is great to work on, totally forgot about that option, although, I will have to consider the cost$$
Always something!!

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:09am
post #10 of 15

i love my corian. super easy to clean. i've oversprayed my airbrush i don't know how many times and it always wipes up great. i roll out my fondant and sometimes i don't even need to use powdered sugar.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:27am
post #11 of 15

I have corian and granite. Love working on both. Out of the two surfaces the granite is near indistuctable. For a total cake kitchen i think i would go with the stainless it would be very easy to clean and probably the cheapest option.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:05am
post #12 of 15

I have stainless tables and regular kitchen laminate. Both are fine. There is NO reason to spend tons on the counter tops unless you want to really WOW people who visit. I mix some colored icing right on the counter, so i prefer the laminate. It cleans up great with a little bleach. The metal table tends to get scratched and incorporated in the icing...yuck. I don't know what would be good for rolling fondant on.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:06pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

The metal table tends to get scratched and incorporated in the icing..

what do you mean?? the flavor changes? or pieces of metel get in the icing?? I would think that you would have to be pretty rough with it to get pieces of metal into the icing??

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 15

Not metal in the icing exactly, but it can turn a little grey. I don't do it on the metal tables because of this.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm
post #15 of 15

gotcha
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%