What Are The "best" Classes To Take?

Decorating By allie73 Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 3:27am by melanier5

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 3

I know the Wilton classes are offered at my local Michael's and Hobby Lobby stores, and I am not that far from Darien, IL where the Wilton HQ are. I've been donating a lot of cakes lately and business is really starting to pick up. With that, I just don't feel that my skills are what they could be, but I don't have much time to spare, so I want to get the most bang for my buck (and my precious minutes) from the classes I do take.

So, CCers, what do you think are the most vital classes for a wannabe cake decorator to take? Someone who will primarily do showers, birthdays, and special occasion cakes (no weddings right now)?

To help you out, for what I am interested in doing, I don't think I'll be getting into gumpaste too much. I think it is extremely beautiful, and the work some of you do amazes me. But to spend all that time and effort on something that can't be eaten (and can often be replaced with fresh flowers that are just as pretty), I just don't see the point - and I just don't have the time what with my full-time teaching job taking up a lot of my waking hours.

2 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 3

You lucky girl!! Being so close to Wilton's HQ. Anyways, you may want to check Wilton's website (http://www.wilton.com/classes/wiltonschool/classes.cfm) for classes. They have 1-day workshops but it looks like the 3-day ones are more interesting. Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

melanier5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanier5 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:27am
post #3 of 3

Hi,I just finished taking the Wilton courses.I did all four that were offered.Each phase took a month to complete going one night a week.I have three kids ages 12,8,& 3,and I found myself counting the days till I got to go back to class and was let down when they were over.If you are already decorating you could skip course 1 and go straight to course 2.Gumpaste was the 4th course and it was pretty much overkill.Good luck with whatever you do !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%