How To Stripe Chocolate Fondant?

Decorating By Divinekreationz Updated 21 Dec 2006 , 8:34pm by ShirleyW

Divinekreationz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Divinekreationz Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 4:11am
post #1 of 5

I saw this beautiful striping method on a cake at cakework.com under spotlight cakes. I LOVE IT and I have my own ideas about how I would like to do striping and a few other things. DOES ANYONE know at all how this is done I have provided the link so others can see.

http://www.cakework.com/spotlight.html

Let me know...

4 replies
thecakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaven Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 4:22am
post #2 of 5

These cakes are not done in fondant, they are actually wrapped in chocolate. This is done by spreading chocolate on clear acetate sheets and chilling slightly, but not until totally firm, then wrapping it around the cake. The striped effect can be created using the same technique, but by painting the stripes of chocolate onto the sheets, then covering with a thicker layer of the base color.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 4:26am
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I've been wondering how to do this.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 7:11am
post #4 of 5

I think it can be done with fondant, too, using a pasta machine with a roller that you can pass the sheets through. I saw an explanation in a Colette's book once that I sorta got but didn't try. Very cool look.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 5

It can be done with fondant as well, it's just more time consuming. Roll with the pasta machine so each color is the same thickness. Use a ruler to measure the width when cutting. Unless you have very sturdy fondant it is difficult to do one single long piece to go all the way around the iced cake, but it can be done. Cut the strip to the width and length required and then roll that strip up like you would a cloth measuring tape, hold it in both hands, attach one end to the cake and unroll as you go along.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%