Question About Freezing Cakes

Decorating By krazeekaker Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 3:18am by krazeekaker

krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:21am
post #1 of 5

i know some of you don't like to freeze cakes but i was wondering how long can you actually keep a cake in the freezer before you need to use it? also how do you know when a cake is defrosted enough for you to ice and or cover in fondant. i know chilled cakes are easier to ice and fondant but i've seen in several posts that they should be defrosted before you ice them. i know i'm bombarding with questions but will the length of time you freeze a cake be affected if it is filled with a filling or just buttercream? I've got a wedding cake at the end of november on a friday night and i'm going to have to do something to be able to organize my time so i can get everything done. any help is much appreciated.

4 replies
dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #2 of 5

I remember one person said that they froze a decorated cake for something like 8 months and it still tasted fresh, so a few weeks will be no problem. Also it depends on the filling as far as hpw long that can be frozen, but MOST should be fine. I personally have decorated frozen cakes with buttercream, but I do not use fondant so I am not sure about that one. HTH!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:44am
post #3 of 5

A friend of mine did table cakes for a wedding something like 20 of them . She completely decorated them and had them in the freezer for like 6 weeks and when I ate it I would of never known had she not told me.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:01am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeekaker

i know some of you don't like to freeze cakes but i was wondering how long can you actually keep a cake in the freezer before you need to use it? also how do you know when a cake is defrosted enough for you to ice and or cover in fondant. i know chilled cakes are easier to ice and fondant but i've seen in several posts that they should be defrosted before you ice them. i know i'm bombarding with questions but will the length of time you freeze a cake be affected if it is filled with a filling or just buttercream? I've got a wedding cake at the end of november on a friday night and i'm going to have to do something to be able to organize my time so i can get everything done. any help is much appreciated.

I freeze my cakes all the time, the most being about 3 months. I think it's easier to frost them. I like torte, fill and frost as soon as I can get a knife through them. You just have to wait to let them totally defrost before they will crust. One time, I had baked some fresh cakes and also had some frozen in the freezer. I used one fresh layer and one frozen layer on a cake. My husband and I both agreed that we liked the frozen layer better. It was more moist and the flavor was more intense. Just our opinion.

Good luck!

krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:18am
post #5 of 5

thanks everyone for sharing your info. I've heard of other people saying that they prefer the frozen cake also. I haven't had a need to freeze a cake yet but everyone's input has eased my mind that the quality of the cake would not be compromised by freezing it. thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%