I Have A Gingerbread House Question!

Decorating By HammIamm Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 8:02pm by krazykat_14

HammIamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HammIamm Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 11

alright, growing up my family never took part in making gingerbread houses, when i got older, I only started making them as display pieces, like I'd make gingerbread replicas of buildings and such, edible, but usually made from rock hard gingerbread.
I am now thinking of offering gingerbread house class for the kids. if i started offering classes in november, is this too early?? like do people usually keep their gingerdream houses around till christmas?? or do they eat them right away??? i haven't a clue!!

feedback would be great!
thanks

10 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 11

That far ahead, it would most likely be a showpiece.

You could show them a make-it-yourself-later version using graham crackers for walls.

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:16am
post #3 of 11

I always offer a Gingerbread class in November and another in December. People get so busy during the holidays, that it is more convenient to do it early. Some eat them, some keep them.

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 11

To tell the truth, I never have time in December for anything fun like a gingerbread class, etc. I think November is a great time!

As for making them so far ahead, I have already baked the pieces for 5 houses. I will assemble and decorate them as needed, but I have to start early or I won't have the time to decorate and deliver them! (I give them as gifts.)

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 11

I know a gingerbread place in East Toronto that starts selling their houses in early nov. You can buy them assembled undecorated, or decorated.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 11

With children i think they may pick at it. If the parents allow them. I start making mine about a month ahead of time and it is not eatten by us it is kept as a show piece.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 11

We usually make ours Thanksgiving weekend it is displayed and no one eats it... the day we take our tree down all who help may eat the house and then we toss the rest.

And yes the gingerbread is fine.

though I do remember making one as a child for a party and then we gave it to some friends.. She kept it in the freezer and brought it out every Decenber for about 5 years.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 11

Hi folks, every year we do a gingerbread village to benefit a local children's hospital. This year we bought our ready-made gingerbread pieces from CK products.

They are very very strong, sturdy, good thick pieces and our local cake decorating store only charged us about $3.50 a house for the regular size. They make a petite, regular, large and X-large (like for a gingerbread church).

Just thought I would pass along the infomation... your local cake decorating shops should be able to order them for you. We do ours early November and they are ok to eat through December.

Lisa

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 11

If I'm making my own, we skip the gingerbread and make it out of sugar cookies!! icon_biggrin.gif Don't shoot me but I don't like gingerbread. thumbsdown.gif This way, we have about a week to eat it and it actually tastes good! thumbs_up.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:49pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJC

Don't shoot me but I don't like gingerbread. thumbsdown.gif

*bang bang bang*

*turns and grabs her plain ol' sugar cookie dough and knaws off the end of the tube, then runs away screaming*

icon_lol.gif

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 11

I do believe the reason gingerbread was originally used is because it's rock hard and can last for a month or two without changing the consistency or texture...icon_lol.gif. I made one last year that was probably two weeks old when my son finally got to eat it, it was still hard as a rock, but with perseverance, he got through it... icon_lol.gif

I'm not crazy about gingerbread either, but it smells SOOO good... I did happen to make a trial house (to try my templates) and decorated it for Halloween, it's out of sugar cookies and my Halloween will be spent with a bunch of horror movies, a big glass of milk, and a house! mmm... I've never looked forward to Halloween this much before!

Ok, back to the original question: Yes, November would be a great time to do it, people get way too busy during December, and I don't see why the houses wouldn't last and taste great (with a big glass of milk to soften them). If you did happen to offer a class for kids in December, if the kids are big enough and will behave without a parent, you could offer it as a way for busy moms to Christmas shop while kids are occupied... granted, working with kids in general, you're a braver man than I!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%