Gumpaste Bed For A Princess - How To?

Decorating By laura_d_v Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 1:21am by laura_d_v

laura_d_v Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura_d_v Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 3

My brother wants me to make a Sleeping Beauty cake for his wife's birthday in a few weeks. I searched for ideas and found some great ideas. I especially love the ones of Sleeping Beauty on a bed. I have pm'd a couple of people for help, but as the holiday season is approaching and everyone, I'm sure is getting busier, I have not received any replies.

I'm assuming the bed frame is from gumpaste and the princess is from fondant. Now I have worked with MMF before, but have never used gumpast, and have never done anything like this that would need to be assembled.

So any help for a beginner? How long does the gumpaste take to dry, how do I attach pieces to each other and to the cake? Do I color it before or after making the pieces?

I want to get started on the bed frame part this weekend, so any help, ideas, instructions would really be appreciated!! Thanks!!

2 replies
Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:04am
post #2 of 3

I recommend buying the Debbie Brown book on Enchanted cakes. In there she has the Sleeping Beauty cake with template and directions. I've made it and it came out adorable.

You could make the bed out of gingerbread rather than gumpaste. The cake is actually the mattress and does not stick to the bed. If you use GP it can take up to a week to dry if it's thick, if it's raining, or if it's cold. To stick GP to GP you just use water. Good luck.

laura_d_v Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura_d_v Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:21am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I can find that book around here or order it soon to get it in time.
The gingerbread idea is also very cute. So then it would be even more edible and smell that much better. Hmmm...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%