Fondant/gum Tex Figurine Help!

Decorating By mkmetz Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 1:41pm by mzsweet

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a fondant/gum-tex figurine for the first time. I used MMF and added some gum-tex. I have sculpted the body and the head separately. Now I'm wondering when I should attach the head? The figurine is still kind of soft, although keeping its shape. But when I add the head, I'm afraid it will weigh the body down. Also, I'm thinking of attaching it with a toothpick for extra support, so I don't want to the body to get too hard or the toothpick won't go in. I have thought of leaning the back and head of the figurine up against a can for support (the figurine will be sitting on the cake). Any help/ideas would be wonderful! Thanks!

10 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 11

If the head is heavy, a toothpick is a good idea to support the head. Then I would lean it against something, just to be safe.

pennywells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennywells Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 11

You want to attach the head to the body before it gets even slightly hard or the two will not look like one. The neck and the body part would look detached because it was not soft enough to mold together. Hope that helps.

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 11

Like already mentioned, it's best to attach it while still soft. If for whatever reason this is not practical. you can place the toothpick into the body, and one it the head. Once hardened you can remove the one from the head and slide it into place on the toothpick in the body. Good luck.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 11

I also have a question....I made fondant dinosaur figures with a candy mold. I sprayed non stick cooking spray into the mold cavities. The person I made the cake for said they fondant figures tasted like cleaning chemicals. Is there another way to get the figures out of the molds?

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 11

I've not actually used molds for fondant before, but I would think a thin layer of Crisco or dusting the mold with powdered sugar or cornstarch would work. Hmmm...although if it's colored you may have to dust off the white. Now I'm going to have to try it just to find out. icon_smile.gif

Cakelover763 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelover763 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

I also have a question....I made fondant dinosaur figures with a candy mold. I sprayed non stick cooking spray into the mold cavities. The person I made the cake for said they fondant figures tasted like cleaning chemicals. Is there another way to get the figures out of the molds?

You can dust the molds with corn strach or powder sugar, just be sure to get the small detail areas. Clean the pieces when you remove them.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 11

Use a dusting of cornstarch to get them out of the molds. Attach your head with the toothpick and use gumglue to secure. (You can take some of your gumtex and add water to it to make a paste. ) If you have tylose, that would be better but the gumtex should work.

mzsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzsweet Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 11

I use raw spaghetti rather than toothpicks to support heads arms and legs on modelled figures, although not pleasent to eat the raw spaghetti is edible. Not that I expect anyone to eat the models I put on cakes but kids are generally tempted to see what they taste like. I use two teaspoons of tylose per 500 grams of fondant. I put the head on when the fondant is still soft otherwise the body or head can crack if you try it latter. Use a little sugar glue (made from tylose) in addition to the spagetti support, support in position with sponge or whatever overnight and it should hold the next day without any problems.

mzsweet Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 11

I use raw spaghetti rather than toothpicks to support heads arms and legs on modelled figures, although not pleasent to eat the raw spaghetti is edible. Not that I expect anyone to eat the models I put on cakes but kids are generally tempted to see what they taste like. I use two teaspoons of tylose per 500 grams of fondant. I put the head on when the fondant is still soft otherwise the body or head can crack if you try it latter. Use a little sugar glue (made from tylose) in addition to the spagetti support, support in position with sponge or whatever overnight and it should hold the next day without any problems.

mzsweet Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 11

ooops pressed submit twice, sorry guys

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%