Stacked Construction ?

Decorating By Momof-4 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 7:15pm by leah_s

Momof-4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof-4 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 5

I did my stacked construction with the Fondant and it turned out great! (Thank you for all your help)

Now I was wondering if I were to just use buttercream.How can I get that cake on there without messing up? I had my cake board the same size as my cake so it was a little tricky with the fondant.I am scared about the cake I am holding getting ready to stack.At least with the fondant my fingers could touch it without messing up.

Thanks so much for your advice !

Jamie

4 replies
PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 5

It can be done! I'm no expert on stacked cakes having done only 2 so far, but the wedding cake I did posed no problem. I made really, really sure the cakes were quite cold before I stacked them. I also sprinkled a bit of powdered sugar within the area of the stacked layer. Carefully, I dropped the layer on top of the other and used my angled icing blade to sort of slide it evenily. Because the bcf was cold and dusted it did not pull and slid nicely. If for some reason you do get a finger dip near the edge, it's most likely where you will be piping a border so it should not be tough to hide. Hope this helps!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 5

I did it and it worked but I was worried too. I used a crusting buttercream which I think helped somewhat. Plus, I didn't quite sink my dowels in all the way and left about an inch sticking out of the layer that I was stacking on. That gave me a little leeway to get my fingers out from under the cake and the weight of the upper layers pushed the dowels down.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 5

I did what awolf24 did this last weekend - not sinking the dowels in all the way.

WElll, actually, I left them just a LITTLE taller. I used additional icing to cover the gaps and a dowel down the middle to secure it. Given it was only a two-tier cakes, but it went off without a hitch!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 5

Or just use SPS (Single Plate Separator) and you can slide the upper tiers into place. The search button at the top of the page will take you to many threads about this system.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%