Chocolate Cake Mix Help Needed -Fast!!!!!

Decorating By Melan Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 12:12am by Melan

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 11

I just leveled my 11x15 and 10in round chocolate cakes and neither of them are done in the middle. I am baffled b/c I do test to make sure they are done. this has never happened to me before!! I still have time to bake but I need to run back to the store so I can pick up more ingredients. I don't want to use the same cake mixes b/c something just doesn't taste right with them. These are duncan hines, they dont taste bad but they are not that good, I've never used duncan hines for chocolate before. What other brand is better and how to do I convert them to be used in a tiered cake? the 10 in will be the center of three tier cake and the 11x15 just needs to be a sheet so I'm not worried much about that one. I just need to know what brand to go get now... Thanks... I'm in a HUGE hurry!

10 replies
emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 11

wow. i have no idea. i use dh all the time - won't use anything else - i've never had a problem.... how long did you bake your 10" for? mine usually take close to 50 minutes. i also add an extra egg and a box of pudding, so that thickens it up a bit. hopefully someone else on here will be of better assistance. best wishes.

~erica

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 11

Wow. I always use Duncan Hines. Their dark chocolate fudge is my favorite...and I don't usually like dark chocolate. The cake is very moist and I find I do have to bake the chocolate a little longer than the box calls for. For the 11x15, I know many people drop the temp to 325 and increase baking time. Not sure why the 10 inch wouldn't have gotten done in the middle?!

Like I said, I always use (and love) Duncan Hines. If you are scared to try it again, Betty Crocker is good, too. I have not had luck with Pillsbury as I can't get it to bake through (sort of like the trouble you just had with DH). But it's all a matter of opinion. I've read many threads here and some love DH, some love BC, and others love Pillsbury.

My suggestion is to lower the baking temp and increase the time. Maybe that will help? Good luck. Jodie

JRAE33 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 11

Wow. I always use Duncan Hines. Their dark chocolate fudge is my favorite...and I don't usually like dark chocolate. The cake is very moist and I find I do have to bake the chocolate a little longer than the box calls for. For the 11x15, I know many people drop the temp to 325 and increase baking time. Not sure why the 10 inch wouldn't have gotten done in the middle?!

Like I said, I always use (and love) Duncan Hines. If you are scared to try it again, Betty Crocker is good, too. I have not had luck with Pillsbury as I can't get it to bake through (sort of like the trouble you just had with DH). But it's all a matter of opinion. I've read many threads here and some love DH, some love BC, and others love Pillsbury.

My suggestion is to lower the baking temp and increase the time. Maybe that will help? Good luck. Jodie

Melan Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 11

Yeah, I bake at 325 and I know the cake tester came out clean, I always double/triple check. I have not ever had this happen so I am so confused! I have always used DH so I too am just shocked! I think I'll try them again and not cook convection and see if that changes anything. I just don't know what went wrong. All the white cakes were perfect. Who knows! How do you covert your cake mixes? I go by what DH website says, how do you all do it?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 11

When you say it's "not done", do you mean it's still runny or it's kinda moist looking?

Sometimes, when my toothpick comes out clean, I will do the trim and the center will be slightly (slightly!!) not done. As long as it's not still in batter stage, I use it anyway. At the wedding, when I cut the cake, it is fine, edible, and delicious! (yep! I've taste tested 'em!)

Melan Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 11

It's not quite batter consistancy but it's way to gooey to try to serve. I did go back out to walmart and I'm going to try again with DH. I have never had a problem with duncan hines, not sure what went wrong this time! I am going to bake normally and not use convection. HOPEFULLY there will be a better result.

Melan Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 11

It's not quite batter consistancy but it's way to gooey to try to serve. I did go back out to walmart and I'm going to try again with DH. I have never had a problem with duncan hines, not sure what went wrong this time! I am going to bake normally and not use convection. HOPEFULLY there will be a better result.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 11

I use any devils food cake mix and add 2/3 c Hersheys cocoa powder. I also replace the water with fat-free French Vanilla creamer (I use fat-free so the cake comes out more dense).

JRAE33 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:35pm
post #10 of 11

Melan - I was just wondering how it worked out for you the second time around? hoping all went well...

Melan Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:12am
post #11 of 11

jrae, I re-baked it all and everything came out perfect. Who knows what happened the first time around! So I finished the cake and delivered it and the bride was just thrilled! My job is done! Thanks for the tips, I still want to know what I did wrong!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%