Adding Yogurt To Cake Help!?

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 1:47pm by mama5kiddos

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 8

I have had a bad experience both times I tried the cake mix extender recipes, the cake FELL apart. I DO want to try to make a moister cake though. I bought yogurt to possibly add to my cake mix. I am going to be baking like crazy today, and need some advice fast please.

Can I JUST add a container of yogurt or do I also need to add an extra egg, etc?

TIA!

7 replies
dooleybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dooleybug Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 8

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you on the yogurt. But I have never had my cakes to fall apart when I use the WASC recipe. I do alter the recipe slightly by using the amount of oil that my cake mix calls for instead of the amount on the recipe and I also always add a box of instant pudding. In my opinion the cakes turn out dense (I can even carve them) and moist. Everyone that eats them rave about the flavor. I have even used a store brand cake mix when they didn't have the name brand and it worked great.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 8

are you adding it to cakebox mix??
Ive only ever added yogurt to scratch cakes.

It fell apart in that it was crumbly or it was so moist it wouldnt hold together ??

mama5kiddos Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 8

I always use cake box mixes. The extender recipe I used, I dont think I put any sour cream/yogurt/pudding in it before, maybe that was why it crumbled?? The batter WAS really thick consistency and I remember thinking it was more like muffin batter. LOL.

What I want to do, is I am making a Pina Colada cake. I have the filling all planned out (coconut mousse with pineapple chunks), but for the cake itself I bought a DH coconut flavored cake box mix. I wanted to add 10oz of drained crushed pineapple and 1 container of pina colada yogurt to the cake batter, but am scared it wont rise or bake well and not sure if i need an extra egg or what. Just looking for a moist flavorful cake and somehow want to incorporate pineapple into the cake itself.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I have to bake 4 9x13's, so I can "push" them together for a bigger (1/2 sheet sized) cake since I dont have a bigger pan yet. It's for family, they dont care. LOL. And I am making 4...so I have 2 layers of cake, with the middle for the filling. I am TOO scared to torte a cake that big. I have torted a smaller round cake before, but dont want to attempt a 9x13 size yet.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 8

Here are two possible recipe options:

1 box coconut cake mix
1 cup pina colada yogurt
3/4 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs

1 box coconut cake mix
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup pina colada yogurt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup oil

These are just recipes I've come up with using what you have. They should work just fine. I've never substituted my liquid with pineapple juice, so I'm not sure how it will work, but I have used coffee and that worked fine. (but I wouldn't use coffee for this cake lol) Just sift the dry ingredients, add everything else to the bowl, and mix until it's done. You can double or tripple either recipe. I think the first one makes 5 cups of batter and the second one makes 7. I hope this works for you.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 8

I just made a strawberry cake were I substituted the water in the recipe for pureed strawberries and it worked out fine. I used the cake extender recipe so I followed the box mix but I added 1-cup flour, 1-cup sugar, 1-cup strawberry yogurt and an extra egg, oh and some strawberry extract. It baked up level and came out moist and dense and perfect. So my guess would be if you follow the cake extender recipe and just sub pineapple for water it should be fine. Good Luck, sounds yummy, let us know how it turns out! thumbs_up.gif

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 8

if your gonna add pineapple to the actual cake mix
I would suggest you use the crushed pineapple (in its own juice not syrup) and drain it really well before use.

Ive found that using chunks makes the cake not rise as much

mama5kiddos Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all! I ended up pretty much using sgilmer 's recipe, only instead of the 3/4 c of pineapple juice, I made a 3/4 c mixture, of 1/3 pineapple juice (there wasnt enough in the can of crushed pineapples! LOL), 1/3 coconut creme creamer, and 1/3 water. I also added 1/2 c of crushed pineapples when the batter was finished, and folded them in.

Learning so much from all fellow CC'ers, I decided to use a heating core for my 9x13 pan (I just cut the top and bottom off a small tomato sauce can, greased it well) baked it at 325, and it turned out PERFECTLY level!!!! The first time I have EVER made a cake where I dont have to LEVEL IT! YEAY! I am also pleased to say, that the batter from the recipe I made, also rised up tall enough to almost the top of the pan...with one box of cake mix!

Thank you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%