Melted Fondant Letters Help

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 6:58pm by mamacc

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all i just had a disaster, i made a football cake for a 16yr old birhtday for tonight and it looked great well i had everything fixed and like a dummy i put the fondant letters which were standing on toothpicks on the cake looked great then i wrap the cake up in Saran wrap so it would be fresh i looked at it this morning and one of the letters had fallen over i could unwrap this thing so i thought it will be ok , so when i deliverd the cake i told her just to stand it back up.
Well when i get to work i call her to see if she transported it ok, she said yes but more letters had fallen down , i will have to make more letters and deliver these to her and tell her not to put them on until she sets the cake up did these do this because of the saran wrapped around the box it was in need to know so i wont do it again if i had been smart icon_mad.gif i would let her put them on oh well i feel sooo bad icon_redface.gif

5 replies
Chuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chuff Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 6

How far in advance did you make the letters? For something like that I would make them a couple days in advance and give them time to harden a little.

I did the same thing once - made some fondant stars on lolipop sticks to put all over the cake. I made them that morning and delivered the cake that afternoon. By the time I got to the destination, the stars had slidden all the way down the sticks and fallen off. Luckily the cake was cute enough without the stars, so I pulled them all off and the client never knew!

Now, I make all fontant decorations that will be free standing a couple days ahead of time so they can setup a little.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuff

How far in advance did you make the letters? For something like that I would make them a couple days in advance and give them time to harden a little.

I did the same thing once - made some fondant stars on lolipop sticks to put all over the cake. I made them that morning and delivered the cake that afternoon. By the time I got to the destination, the stars had slidden all the way down the sticks and fallen off. Luckily the cake was cute enough without the stars, so I pulled them all off and the client never knew!

Now, I make all fontant decorations that will be free standing a couple days ahead of time so they can setup a little.

I made them several days ago and they were hard when i put them on the cake they were on toothpicks and never touched the cake im puzzled right now and embarrased

Chuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chuff Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 6

Hmmmm.....did the letters fall over because they were gooey? Were they sitting on buttercream or fondant? Maybe oil from the buttercream made them gooey and they collapsed?

OR maybe your letters were to big or heavy for the toothpicks and fell off because they were top heavy???

I've had both of these senarios happen to me, but without seeing your cake I'm just guessing what could have happened.

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 6

i think it was the moisture that would have been caused by wrapping the cake in saran wrap. i am always very careful not to seal in a cake too much if there are things on the cake (such a royal icing flowers, or dark bc accents) because the moisture issue. if you needed to wrap it to keep it fresh, then i would have given her the letters to put on herself (the same idea for a bow ... moisture + fondant = mushy!)

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge

i think it was the moisture that would have been caused by wrapping the cake in saran wrap. i am always very careful not to seal in a cake too much if there are things on the cake (such a royal icing flowers, or dark bc accents) because the moisture issue. if you needed to wrap it to keep it fresh, then i would have given her the letters to put on herself (the same idea for a bow ... moisture + fondant = mushy!)

I agree, it was probably the humidity from being sealed up with a moist cake. I also leave my cakes uncovered overnight...

Courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%