Fondant Letters Melted

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm by DianeLM

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 2

oh no my first cake screw up, i made this lady a football cake for her sons 16 birthday everything was great until i added the fondant letters saying Happy Birthday Cody, they looked so cute, so i wraped saran wrap around the box to keep it good and fresh well this morning i was delivering it and noticed one of the letters had fell over. i told the girl just to stand it back up when she set the cake up well she wont need it until tonight , i call her later to see if she had any problems transporting the cake she said no but more letters had falling over then it dawned on me the moisture from the cake and it being sealed up made the fondant soft, i told her to unwrap the cake take the letters out and place them on wax paper that had cornstarch on the and by this evening they should be hard again, i was so embarrased this is the first time this has happened i should of let her put them on the cake when she set it up but i didnt do you think that is what happend to these letters is because i wrapped the cake up tight?? need input so it wont happen again icon_redface.gif

1 reply
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 2

Definitely too much moisture from over-enthusiastic wrapping. icon_smile.gif

You don't need to cover an iced cake airtight. It will only cause problems, as you found out.

Wrapping too tight can also cause buttercream colors to bleed. Cakes need air to set up properly.

I once packaged chocolate iced cupcakes in an airtight container and the icing slid right off in a single piece! Others, that I packaged in not-so-airtight containers were fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%