I Got A Question For All Cc People?????

Decorating By tonedna Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 4:11am by tobycat

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 83

I wonder sometimes how people feel about people who post their cakes 3 or four times from different angles...Is it really necesary???...I think one photo is enough for me to get the idea... icon_confused.gif

82 replies
Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 83

I don't mind-- but I understand that many people don't like the way it pushes photos off the first page of the gallery so quickly, so I don't do it anymore (I did it with my first cake picture that I uploaded [never again, I promise]).

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 83

I do think there are certain cakes that have something interesting and creative on all sides and the top. I wouldn't want to see a person limited too severely, maybe allowed to post the front, back and top?

I am puzzled as to why people post the same question in four or more categories. It is either going to be answered or not in one category, posting it four times doesn't always mean multiple answers and it takes up a lot of space on the forum.

messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 83

Guilty (hangs head in shame)

In my defence I've only done it when I wanted to put a close up of the pastiallge topper in the figures gallery and the cake somewhere else. Oh and once when I had to luster dust a whole cake in a rescue operation (well it looked like a different cake afterwards!).

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:27am
post #5 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I wonder sometimes how people feel about people who post their cakes 3 or four times from different angles...Is it really necesary???...I think one photo is enough for me to get the idea... icon_confused.gif

I'm sure it's because people are proud of their work and would like others to see it from several different angles.

What does it matter, and why on earth does it bother you enough to create a thread about it and solicit people's opinions on the matter? This is a ridiculous thread. icon_confused.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:40am
post #6 of 83

i've seen alot of cakes here with many themes all around the cake.. it takes multiple views to see those. plus some cakes have a "front' and "back" etc. i for one like to see multiple angles of many cakes. guess i'm wierd that way

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:53am
post #7 of 83

We had a thread about this not too long ago. If you read the rules when you post a picture, it states, and this is a quote.

"Duplicate photos are not allowed.
You may upload 1 photo of a cake and choose the most appropriate photo gallery for that 1 photo. On occasion its OK to upload a different angle of your cake, but we prefer you only do that if it the other photo shows entirely different details of the cake, that are not visible at all in the other photo. Please try and limit any "different" angle photos to just 1, that way there are not more than 2 photos in the gallery of the 1 cake."

Those are the CC rules but many are disregarding them. And to me, it is annoying to see multiple pictures of one cake. I don't believe it is fair to those who are following the rules here.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:00am
post #8 of 83

People work very hard on their cakes, and sometimes they think that they have accomplished a personal best on one area of the cake. If someone wants to show various angles of a cake, I'm fine with that. I did it on my fish cake. I showed the entire scene, and then I put a close up of my fondant fisherman in the gumpaste figures section. I am very proud of him.

Does this bother you when exquisitely beautiful work is posted? Or is it only when work that might be considered average is posted?

I can think of one cake that had a rocking horse on top (I think it was a baby shower), and that horse was brilliant. The decorator published 2-3 angles. Everyone raved about it and was thrilled to get a closer look at that beautiful cake. Would this have bothered you?

I'm not trying to sound confrontational, just seriously wondering, because it sounds a little like you're knocking people for being proud of their work that you don't think is worthy of being up there in more than one pic. Forgive me if I'm wrong about where you're coming from -- it's just an observation. That said, I do agree that posting more than 2 pics goes against cc's rules.

S.

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:08am
post #9 of 83

sometimes people ASK the decorator to show another angle so they can get the 'full effect'. Yah, I agree with you that it's a dumb thing if front and back are the same. But many cakes have different elements that deserve another pic. And yes, some people are just publicity hounds and post 3 pics of the same mediocre cake. "All humans are different." icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:52am
post #10 of 83

Well I completely understand the concept of publishing "up to 2" different views "per CC policy". But even I am guilty as charged as here I sit with...egad...4 cakes in my gallery that each have a second view which might not add "entirely different details" as requested by the CC disclaimer (OK at least one does but the cake sucks LOL). In my enthusiasm at the times of posting I did foolishly think the alternate views would be of immense interest to viewers -- what can I say, sometimes the euphoria of a finished cake makes you a little nutty. Or proud, yes!

Collage pics are a great way to stay within the limit yet show numerous other angles but sometimes a) shrinking pics to fit into a collage might not provide the closer look many of us DO desire and often request, or b) the decorator doesn't have software to do that anyway.

If being bumped off the home page is the big issue, maybe multiple-angle-posters could be encouraged to post their different angles at different times, so that their multiple shots won't temporarily monopolize the home page? I know...as IF there needs to be another thing to think about when uploading pics to CC! icon_confused.gif

tonedna Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:03am
post #11 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:

I'm sure it's because people are proud of their work and would like others to see it from several different angles.

What does it matter, and why on earth does it bother you enough to create a thread about it and solicit people's opinions on the matter? This is a ridiculous thread. icon_confused.gif

Is not about not being proud of your cakes,,,but some people take photos of the cakes front back and top with the same deatils...makes no sense...Other peoples work dissapear from the pages cause of the extra photos!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:01am
post #12 of 83
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, cakepro, it's 3am here and I have been baking all day and ready to drop. I thought I would pop in to see what's going on CC and when I saw your post I had to laugh out loud. I needed that.

I never gave this subject a thought one way or another. Personally, I like the different angles, if I didn't I would just move on, and not waste what brain cells I have left thinking about it.

I'm sure there are many members out there that have done it didn't know CC rules. Maybe, they should be expelled three days from CC.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:47am
post #13 of 83

I have seen some lovely pics of cakes which have the main cake in the centre and then the other angles of the cake around the main centre cake.....this should solve this problem I think.

Bwana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bwana Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:19am
post #14 of 83

I may be out of line here with this posting since I am more a "lurker" on CC than I am a poster< but I am going to post anyway and let the flames begin!

tonedna- I find it rather interesting that you are complaining about something that you yourself do! I took a look at your cakes after reading your post (you have some very nice cakes) and you are guilty of doing the same thing at least 6 times with your cakes.

I LOVE looking at all the cakes on CC!!! When there is more than 1 posting of the same cake I like I am thrilled to see the other angles of them. If they are of another cake I do not have a perticular interest in, I move on to one that does interest me. Maybe you should do the same! There are also times when I see cakes that are AWESOME and would love to see the "whole" cake...Merissa's scarecrow cake from Duff's challenge is one of them...but there is only one view and I deal with it.

Now that I have said that I will make my whole point:

This site was designed for artists of cakes to show their masterpieces and to help others achieve the same in their work. It wasn't designed for people to put down other people. The starting of a thread to whine and complain about others is just downright petty. If you don't like something that someone else does on here...pm them...that is what the button is for. Or better yet, leave it to the moderators. If the rules on CC are being broken, that is what they are here for.

Again, I LOVE CC!!! I am on it all the time looking at the beautiful cakes everyone is making and trying to get ideas since I am just starting out. I just hate it when there are posts almost everyday with a complaint about something that is trivial.

Before I go back into lurking mode, let me just say one more thing, I'm sorry if I have stepped on anyone's toes. I just think that we need to "enjoy" the place we have here to look at and share our passions...not bash them at every corner. Relax and enjoy the site!!

Diana

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:40am
post #15 of 83

bawana..... thumbs_up.gif
Personally, I'm getting tired of all the whinning lately.... what's up with that anyway ?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:40am
post #16 of 83

why are we so busy in everybody's business?? icon_confused.gif if jackie or heath want to contact a member about it and have it removed then leave it up to them. sometimes i think we have nothing else to do with our time. we are members of this site...not owners.

tonedna Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:29pm
post #17 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana

I may be out of line here with this posting since I am more a "lurker" on CC than I am a poster< but I am going to post anyway and let the flames begin!

tonedna- I find it rather interesting that you are complaining about something that you yourself do! I took a look at your cakes after reading your post (you have some very nice cakes) and you are guilty of doing the same thing at least 6 times with your cakes.

I LOVE looking at all the cakes on CC!!! When there is more than 1 posting of the same cake I like I am thrilled to see the other angles of them. If they are of another cake I do not have a perticular interest in, I move on to one that does interest me. Maybe you should do the same! There are also times when I see cakes that are AWESOME and would love to see the "whole" cake...Merissa's scarecrow cake from Duff's challenge is one of them...but there is only one view and I deal with it.

This site was designed for artists of cakes to show their masterpieces and to help others achieve the same in their work. It wasn't designed for people to put down other people. The starting of a thread to whine and complain about others is just downright petty. If you don't like something that someone else does on here...pm them...that is what the button is for. Or better yet, leave it to the moderators. If the rules on CC are being broken, that is what they are here for.

Again, I LOVE CC!!! I am on it all the time looking at the beautiful cakes everyone is making and trying to get ideas since I am just starting out. I just hate it when there are posts almost everyday with a complaint about something that is trivial.

Before I go back into lurking mode, let me just say one more thing, I'm sorry if I have stepped on anyone's toes. I just think that we need to "enjoy" the place we have here to look at and share our passions...not bash them at every corner. Relax and enjoy the site!!

Diana

Hi Diana...
I just want to let you know that if you saw my photos correctly I dont do this ...there is only one photo that has a double copy and I was not cause I double post it...It was a glitch in CC...The only reason why I didn't deleted it was cause alteready some people had it in favorites..You can check my photos and see what I am sayng is true...
Honestly Is not about me... I been reading post in here and I have noticed the same thing ..People gets lost in the shuffle of photos!... The other day when I posted this there were 4 photos of one cake. It was a wilton gift box..I know is nice to be proud of your cakes cause I am proud of my cakes and those of my students...And I do tell m students to post their photos here..Is more about the fact of people getting lost in the shuffle just cause of this..I am not trying to make a mess out of this just trying to bring this to peoples attention..Is it really necessary specially if the photos look the same..
Sometimes i seen great close ups that honestly I do think were necesary..But if you have 4 photos of your cake you can make a collague page photo and it gives the same amount of info on the cake..Another thing is CC always mention this whole deal about the amount of photos downloaded and how they have to keeps working all the time on making things better for us..Well i thought it would be nice to try and do something for CC too..So if you feel this is me winning sorry but is not is more about people enjoying the site..Lately all i seen is people sayin I got lost in the shuffle again..

KathysCC Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:28pm
post #18 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Well I completely understand the concept of publishing "up to 2" different views "per CC policy". But even I am guilty as charged as here I sit with...egad...4 cakes in my gallery that each have a second view which might not add "entirely different details" as requested by the CC disclaimer (OK at least one does but the cake sucks LOL). In my enthusiasm at the times of posting I did foolishly think the alternate views would be of immense interest to viewers -- what can I say, sometimes the euphoria of a finished cake makes you a little nutty. Or proud, yes!

Collage pics are a great way to stay within the limit yet show numerous other angles but sometimes a) shrinking pics to fit into a collage might not provide the closer look many of us DO desire and often request, or b) the decorator doesn't have software to do that anyway.

Well said ceshell. thumbs_up.gif

I really don't like the fact that someone can't post a thread complaining about something without getting flamed. If you don't like the subject of this thread, then don't read it and don't post to it. Go somewhere else. I say this kindly, I do not like to see ugliness. It is unbecoming. icon_smile.gif

Everyone has a right to voice their opinion and if you post your complaint on a forum, be prepared to receive negative and positive feedback. There is no need to be ugly or mean. We can discuss a subject without people getting ugly can't we. icon_smile.gif Smile when you say that icon_smile.gif

Lastly, CC posted rules for a reason. They are written in black and white but obviously cannot be policed 24/7. You would think everyone could follow a simple rule for the good of the community as a whole. What makes anyone think they are allowed to break the rules?

All of course IMHO and SMILE EVERYONE!! icon_rolleyes.gif

tonedna Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:36pm
post #19 of 83

I agree with the 2 photo policy!...icon_biggrin.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:43pm
post #20 of 83

Cakepro & Bwana - I'm with you. I do collage photos because I can use Photoshop and I like how they look. I like to see all angles of the cakes. Some people don't use Photoshop.

People be proud of your cakes - if you feel you have one that did not get enough attention (as I occasionally do) then go to the Undernoticed Cakes thread and post there.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #21 of 83
Quote:

Quote:

Amen!

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:50pm
post #22 of 83

like others here, I never gave this topic any thought until now. I am a "go with the flow" kind of person and it really doesn't matter to me that much. although I do like it when someone posts closeups of detail work that isn't clearly visible in the larger pic. If this were a site where I had paid for the front page space, I would probably be upset. But since this is a free site, I am grateful for ANY front page space I am given and welcome all comments.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:40pm
post #23 of 83

On a post a while back Heath jumped in with a good explanation on why only ONE photo is allowed per cake. The galleries are getting to full and you cant navigate through all the photos.

I agree, everyone wants to show off their work, me too! But if someone wants another angle or close up, they should pm the member.

I'm still learning (and thank goodness for cc), and I know there is nothing extraordinary about my cakes compared to others, but it's nice to see them on the front page for a minute or two, without being bumped by 4 pictures of one cake.

Someday, someday someday I'll make the popular cakes and get my 15 minutes of fame!

Again, just me but I think we should follow the rules Heath and Jackie set forth when uploading the photos. They give us so much, it's not to much to ask that we follow their requests for this site.
Lisa

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:49pm
post #24 of 83

You know... this is getting so annoying! icon_mad.gif
When I log into CC, I want to see pictures of incredible cakes, forum posts about helping each other, innovative ideas, sincere questions, helpful answers... icon_biggrin.gif
I'm tired of the nit-picking whining, fussing, and sh*t stirring! icon_evil.gif

icon_twisted.gif ****STEPPING INTO MOTHER MODE***** icon_twisted.gif

If you can't get along, and learn to deal with each other, GO TO YOUR OWN ROOMS! icon_mad.gif
This site is not here to fuss and whine about the way other people do things! If you dont like the way people post comments, disable your comments! If you dont like duplicate photos... dont look at them! If you aren't getting enough views from your photos, post it in the forum with a big wave stating "here I am, please check out my latest creation!". This is a crazy busy site, with thousands of people! We've got to start acting like the adults we claim to be. If not, this site will no longer be the addicting, awesome site it's always been! icon_cry.gif
Lately it feels like I'm dealing with my 5 year old and 11 year old bickering and fussing all evening!!!! icon_cry.gif
Cut it out, and get back to making incredible cakes and cookies!!! icon_biggrin.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #25 of 83

Someone suggested creating a collage picture for multiple views. If anyone wants to do that and doesn't have the software to do so, I'd gladly offer to do it for you. It can be done in Paint, but it's hard to describe how to do it. I do have the software to create a collage as well as Photoshop. Anyway...

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:05pm
post #26 of 83

If there truely is 80,000 people logging on here and posting pics, your gonna get bumped off the front page pretty quickly anyway. ( I think I got the 80,000 figure from when CC was down, going to new servers that could accomodate all those photos)
If your goal is to be on the front page. Then your goal should be to create something spectacular that can't help but to be in everyone's favorites and make it to most popular.
I personally like the self assurance having my pics uploaded in one other place online gives me. I have seen too many cases where people's hard drives have crashed, they have lost their backups, etc.
When I am getting to know a fellow CC' r I enjoy going through ALL their photos and getting a feel for who they are and how they decorate. What they choose to post is an expression of that.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents....

love2stich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2stich Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:05pm
post #27 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana

Diana

I am ditto-ing everything that Diana said. This site is about learning and sharing, and not about acting like you are in high school. Seriously please act like grown-ups and quit complaining about getting knocked off the front page or not getting enough comments on your photos. (Not everyone has Photoshop or the time to learn how to use it) Please I beg you to use accurate descriptions for your photos when you do post them so when people do searches your photo will come up!

Now get back to making those beautiful cakes and sharing your ideas and love for sugar art with all the thousands of people all over the world. This is supposed to be a happy place where we can escape from our everyday lives and get sucked in by the amazing cake designers who post here. Please try to keep positive![/b]

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:08pm
post #28 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kiddos

You know... this is getting so annoying! icon_mad.gif
When I log into CC, I want to see pictures of incredible cakes, forum posts about helping each other, innovative ideas, sincere questions, helpful answers... icon_biggrin.gif
I'm tired of the nit-picking whining, fussing, and sh*t stirring! icon_evil.gif

icon_twisted.gif ****STEPPING INTO MOTHER MODE***** icon_twisted.gif

If you can't get along, and learn to deal with each other, GO TO YOUR OWN ROOMS! icon_mad.gif
This site is not here to fuss and whine about the way other people do things! If you dont like the way people post comments, disable your comments! If you dont like duplicate photos... dont look at them! If you aren't getting enough views from your photos, post it in the forum with a big wave stating "here I am, please check out my latest creation!". This is a crazy busy site, with thousands of people! We've got to start acting like the adults we claim to be. If not, this site will no longer be the addicting, awesome site it's always been! icon_cry.gif
Lately it feels like I'm dealing with my 5 year old and 11 year old bickering and fussing all evening!!!! icon_cry.gif
Cut it out, and get back to making incredible cakes and cookies!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Geeeze Louise, Lighten up! we are NOT your kids.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #29 of 83

Who really cares, this is ridiculous all the complaining. We are lucky that the site is up period (FOR FREE).

The owners of this site have been busting their A**es to make sure that it is running and running well. And all I keep seeing is a lot of B*tching and complaining about what is going on that someone doesn't like.

WHO CARES whether you like it or not. If you have children and they may or may not live in your house and that is the only person, place or thing you can personally control, besides whether you use CC.

If it is making so many people so miserable, then don't use it and maybe I can find things and search for the things I need faster without you around.

Sincerely

Sick and Tired

KathysCC Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:13pm
post #30 of 83

I still think the original poster had a valid question that was not asked in a mean or whining way. I think the hostile responses are far worse than the original question. I repeat...if you don't like the subject or question then why read the forum or even post to it.

I also still think that rules were meant to be followed, not broken. And the 1 picture limit with few exceptions IS the rule. That is not hard to understand.

I don't believe this is a bad subject to discuss because maybe some people have not noticed the one picture rule and this thread will inform them. I almost have to question if the ones being so hostile here are some who don't believe the rules apply to them and don't like being told what the rules are.

Please no more flaming. The subject is not ridiculous, the hostility is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%