Powdered Vanilla

Decorating By marybible Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 3:11pm by marybible

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 10

I bought this powdered vanilla called DRYVAN from my local cake supply store. I was curious of how it works. Anybody know anything about it? I guess I should have asked them while I was there...LOL.

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 10

Depending on exactly what you bought, its either 16 or 32 times more powerful than liquid vanilla.

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 10

I use Adams Extract - they also sell powder form on their website - it says same measure as liquid (equal); but I'd contact the company you bought yours from just to be sure.

marybible Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 10

What is so funny, is that it has NO directions on the package. Just the ingredients. So I was wondering on how much to put into a recipe. And just wondered if it as supposed to be better than the liquid or same. Sounds like according to leahs, it would just be stronger? thanks for the info.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 10

I think it's just different. I used it in jar mixes where I couldn't pack wet ingredients. but the stuff I bought was powerful. I think I wound up putting in 1/8 of the recipe's measurment.

marybible Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 10

thanks for the help..I guess only one way to find out for sure...experiment!!!!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 10

I just bought some of the same DryVan, it was CK brand. I plan to experiment and make some vanilla flavored powdered sugar for dusting, try it in crumb toppings and make my own Cinnamon-Vanilla seasoning.

I think it would be awesome in some muffin crumb toppings!

marybible Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 10

That does sound good. I LOVE vanilla flavor. Its definitely one of my favorites. I am excited to try it.

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 10

hello

I have been using a vanilla powder for years. It is a brand from an Italian grocery store. I originally used it to add flavor to whipped cream, because it added no color and no liquid. Now I use it in most recipes... I usually add it to the flour or sugar before sifting. This one too comes with no directions (but then I did not expect any.. there are no directions on my bottle of liquid vanilla either), so I just experimented till I came up with the right amount.
ciao for now

marybible Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the info..I guess I never looked on a bottle of vanilla for directions!! How funny. I guess I just assumed since everything comes with directions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%