Keeping Brown Sugar Soft

Decorating By bonniebakes Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 4:59pm by PatricesPieces

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 13

I bougth one of those brown sugar bears - it looks like terra cotta - that is supposed to keep your brown sugar soft. But, I'm not sure what to do with it exactly.... help!!

The only directions on the package were "soak it in water for 20 minutes and it will keep brown sugar soft for up to 3 months."

So... I soak it and then put it directly in with the brown sugar? Do I put it in while it's wet or do I let it dry first?

thanks!!!

Bonnie

12 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 13

soak it take it out of the water.......you can pat it dry a bit if you want and then pop it in the brown sugar......I hear they work like a charm.......I've also heard of putting in a slice of apple too! That seems like it would mold to me ...but what do i know??? lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 13

Sorry can't help w/the bear thing (I think the other poster is right) but here are a few other tricks:
Keeping it in the firg helps.
Adding a slice (or 1/2) of fresh bread helps as does adding a slice of apple.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 13

I piece of bread will work too. I don't put it in there and forget it, just put it in there a little while before I need it.

fabulicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulicious Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 13

you can also throw the brown sugar in the microwave foe a few seconds to soften, too!

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 13

The bear works great! I think I just soaked it, dried it off and put it in...worked like a charm!

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 13

I didn't know you were supposed to soak them! I just popped it in. It didn't work right away, now I know why! I think it's fine now though!

RkRamirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RkRamirez Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thems_my_kids

I didn't know you were supposed to soak them! I just popped it in. It didn't work right away, now I know why! I think it's fine now though!

I just put mine in with the brown sugar. I didn't soak them either.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 13

I just keep my brown sugar in a tupperware container and it stays nice and soft. I "burp" the lid everytime I close the container to be sure to get the extra air out. A 1lb box of sugar fits perfectly. icon_biggrin.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 13

I've used the bear, but a slice of bread or a piece of fruit (non citrus) works best. Will soften even a "brick hard" bag of sugar.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #11 of 13

thanks everyone!!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 13

Gee Price...I'm not even as fancy as you with the tupperware, I keep it in it's bag with a twist tie and throw it in my coffee can marked brown sugar and it stays nicely with no lumps at all! (Gotta a can for wild rice, brown rice and white rice also.)

HTH all the other cheapo's like me....teehee.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 13

I keep mine in the freezer and wrapped tightly. It stays very moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%