Wild Things Themed Shower Cake! Help!

Decorating By calligraphyqueen Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 5:21am by cakebaker1978

calligraphyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calligraphyqueen Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 7

My sister's baby shower is this weekend. I have gotten so caught up in my other pursuits and apparently lost some pans in our move. Her theme is Where the Wild Things are, which I was going to try and freehand or transfer. I just can't figure out cake flavors, buttercreams and possible fillings.
I also can't figure out what to put on sides if I layer more than one cake. I can do a transfer on top but what the heck to do on sides? I dont' want to mess with fondant as I don't think my sister cares for it. Since this is a freebie, I can get away with a little more 'character development'

Give me some ideas, this week has just been so depleting I am completely stumped for flavors and ideas!! The shower is the 28th of October. icon_sad.gif

6 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry I can't help, but here's a bump.

MomoTyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoTyty Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 7

You could do an animal print cake. I did one for a jungle themed 50th birthday party and it was a hit. Take a look in my photos. Also, be sure to look in the white border band, I wrote in Happy Birthday Jim on one and 50 on the other. You have to look close to see the writing. Good luck!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 7

When I think of Wild Things book I think of how dark the background is with allthe jungle around it. you could do like a steel blue/navy for the color of the icing and then have trees and grass all around the cake on the sides. Then you could add your transfers on top of that! Have you seen the book lately? that may help you get motivated!

Good luck with your cake!

MomoTyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoTyty Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 7

I didn't read close enough ... I didn't realize you were basing on a book. I just thought you were looking for a "wild things" theme. I haven't seen the book so I'm not sure the animal print would work or not...

inoclu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inoclu Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 7

Try using a wacky cake...maybe alice in wonderland inspired, but instead of using bright colors use more subdued with trees and maybe a monster or two...

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:21am
post #7 of 7

You could do a cake to look like the book itself and then put the edible image transfer on it! That would be cool!
Or you could do an open book to a page of the story!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%