My Cake Balls....yuck!

Decorating By lv2bake Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 9:26pm by JanH

lv2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv2bake Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 5

Okay I made the apple pie with the apple liquor, but tasted awful, I also made pumpkin spice dipped in white chocolate. yuck icon_sad.gif
Can anyone tell me what kind of choclate they use in theirs to cover? I melted down Garadhelli chips but when they dried it was hard as a rock, and when I put the cake balls in the freezer and tried to dip them the chocolate sweated, it looked terrible, I also tried to wait until they defrosted and it looked like mush hard to dip. They didn't come out good at all. My family hated them icon_sad.gif what could I be doing wrong? I made sure I didn't put too much binder in them, but enough to make balls that were pretty firm (like a meatball, but smaller). What kind of chocolate do you use to dip them? I am so upset, but would like to keep trying I have heard so many good things about them. HELP!

Darlene

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 5

with the ghirardelli I would think they'd taste wonderfull what I always do is add at least one tsp. of shortening to every cup of chocolate chips or wilton candy coating chocolate thingies.........anyhow it thins the chocolate and makes it super smooth for dipping, gives it a gorgeous shiny yummy look and when it hardens it's not really hard like a chocolate bar but softer, only not so soft that it will smudge or anything.....and I never refrigerate them!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:09am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2bake

Okay I made the apple pie with the apple liquor, but tasted awful, I also made pumpkin spice dipped in white chocolate. yuck icon_sad.gif
Can anyone tell me what kind of choclate they use in theirs to cover? I melted down Garadhelli chips but when they dried it was hard as a rock, and when I put the cake balls in the freezer and tried to dip them the chocolate sweated, it looked terrible, I also tried to wait until they defrosted and it looked like mush hard to dip. They didn't come out good at all. My family hated them icon_sad.gif what could I be doing wrong? I made sure I didn't put too much binder in them, but enough to make balls that were pretty firm (like a meatball, but smaller). What kind of chocolate do you use to dip them? I am so upset, but would like to keep trying I have heard so many good things about them. HELP!

Darlene

The same thing happen to me! I heard so much about the cake balls, but I just could not get the chocolate to melt in a liquid type, it came out too thick and lumpy (I use the Guiardelli brand), them I use the Wilton's candy melts and the same thing happen. I use a chocolate double boiler I bought and I even tried the crock pot, I manage to roll some of the cake balls but they look lumpy and the whole thing took forever. It look so easy in the "cake balls" article in CC.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 5

put in some shortening......it will thin it down and smooth it out perfectly

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%